Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Rowan closed form

Turned this a couple weeks ago. It was a gnarly, ugly hunk of wood that
was about a half inch from being tossed on the fire. Had rotten
branches in it, nasty cracks, no obvious figure. I wanted to do a
little hollow form turning though so figured it would be a good practice
piece. No loss if I blew it up. Boy was I wrong.

The main body is Rowan, aka Mountain Ash.

One side has some nice feather figure, some spalting is mixed
throughout, a bit of burl figure here and there and overall just a
really nice piece of wood. I'm pleased with the form as well. If I can
say so myself, I think I did the wood justice.

Not sure what the lid is. May be some cherry burl, or possibly some
Cuban Mahagony I got from a friend in Florida or some Hawaiian wood I
got from another friend. It's been sitting in my shop for so long I
really can't remember what it is or where it came from.

The finial is rosewood. I finished it with BLO and Formby's Tung Oil
Finish...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Rowan closed form-rowan1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 3/10/2010 1:13 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
[...]

Gorgeous piece of wood ... looks almost like metamorphic rock.

Well done!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Very nice. Some good figure in that wood.

Now you ned to examine your firewood more closely. See if you got some more
beauties hidden in the woodpile.

Any chance you could show us what it looks like inside the vessel? I bet it
looks just as nice inside as it does outside.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Yeah - it was a pleasant surprise!

Now you ned to examine your firewood more closely. See if you got some more
beauties hidden in the woodpile.

Indeed.

Any chance you could show us what it looks like inside the vessel? I bet it
looks just as nice inside as it does outside.

Actually the inside is unfinished. I got a reasonably clean cut on it,
but didn't really feel the need to go beyond that. The opening isn't
that large, so you don't really see much of the inside with the lid off.

Maybe I'm a heretic, but some rustic features on the wood don't really
degrade it IMHO. They still sell well so I guess I'm not alone in that
opinion.

It's going to the shop I see through today, and I don't have a camera
here at work. If I can find one to borrow I may be able to get a shot
but it may be cell phone quality. I'll see what I can do.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 03/10/2010 03:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

Gorgeous piece of wood ... looks almost like metamorphic rock.

Yeah - there's so many different character enhancements in that one
piece it's amazing.

Well done!

Thanks. Of course, God did the hard part...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:

Turned this a couple weeks ago. It was a gnarly, ugly hunk of wood that
was about a half inch from being tossed on the fire. Had rotten
branches in it, nasty cracks, no obvious figure. I wanted to do a
little hollow form turning though so figured it would be a good practice
piece. No loss if I blew it up. Boy was I wrong.

The main body is Rowan, aka Mountain Ash.

For a supposedly ugly piece of wood, that sure turned into a nice turned
piece. Beautiful.

One side has some nice feather figure, some spalting is mixed
throughout, a bit of burl figure here and there and overall just a
really nice piece of wood. I'm pleased with the form as well. If I can
say so myself, I think I did the wood justice.

Not sure what the lid is. May be some cherry burl, or possibly some
Cuban Mahagony I got from a friend in Florida or some Hawaiian wood I
got from another friend. It's been sitting in my shop for so long I
really can't remember what it is or where it came from.

The lid seems to clash with the rest of the turning. It looks like it's
really well executed, it just doesn't seem to fit with the piece. But then,
that could just be me.

The finial is rosewood. I finished it with BLO and Formby's Tung Oil
Finish...

...Kevin

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

The lid seems to clash with the rest of the turning. It looks like it's
really well executed, it just doesn't seem to fit with the piece. But then,
that could just be me.

No, I tend to agree. The lid itself I like, and the dark rosewood
finial, but I wasn't really satisfied with the color match of the lid
and the body. I didn't have any wood that would really be a better
match but I vacillated between using it and not. In the end I decided
to, but it's a hard call. I may try to find something that matches
better and swap it out.

Thanks for having the where-with-all to post constructive criticism.
I'm always open to it, but know a lot of folks hesitate to say anything
that might be misconstrued as a slight. I wish more folks would include
what they dislike about a piece as well as what they like...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote

Thanks for having the where-with-all to post constructive criticism. I'm
always open to it, but know a lot of folks hesitate to say anything that
might be misconstrued as a slight. I wish more folks would include what
they dislike about a piece as well as what they like...

Ya want some criticism, OK, you got it.

I don't dare show pictures of this turned object to my wife. I would never
hear the end of it! She would insist I make her something like it.

Which would be hard to do since I have no lathe!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Kevin Miller" wrote
Thanks for having the where-with-all to post constructive criticism. I'm
always open to it, but know a lot of folks hesitate to say anything that
might be misconstrued as a slight. I wish more folks would include what
they dislike about a piece as well as what they like...

Ya want some criticism, OK, you got it.

I don't dare show pictures of this turned object to my wife. I would never
hear the end of it! She would insist I make her something like it.

Which would be hard to do since I have no lathe!

Lee, you just have to learn to speak Womenese. If you run it through a
translator it comes out to:

"Please go buy yourself a lathe and some good gouges.
Make sure you get good ones because there's nothing
worse than a cheap tool."

She sounds like a keeper.

HTH...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:45:18 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Kevin Miller" wrote

Thanks for having the where-with-all to post constructive criticism. I'm
always open to it, but know a lot of folks hesitate to say anything that
might be misconstrued as a slight. I wish more folks would include what
they dislike about a piece as well as what they like...

Ya want some criticism, OK, you got it.

I don't dare show pictures of this turned object to my wife. I would never
hear the end of it! She would insist I make her something like it.

Which would be hard to do since I have no lathe!

I'd like to know what people "do" with "vessels", y'know?
Ah doan git it.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd like to know what people "do" with "vessels", y'know?
Ah doan git it.

Half sell them. That's me. Then I go to the bank. It's lots of fun.

The other half put them on a shelf and dust them. Apparently it's lots
of fun too, but I've never tried it myself...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:08:09 -0900, the infamous Kevin Miller
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd like to know what people "do" with "vessels", y'know?
Ah doan git it.

Half sell them. That's me. Then I go to the bank. It's lots of fun.

Awrighty, then.

The other half put them on a shelf and dust them. Apparently it's lots
of fun too, but I've never tried it myself...

Nor have I.

Carry on!