Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Rowan closed form

Turned this a couple weeks ago. It was a gnarly, ugly hunk of wood that
was about a half inch from being tossed on the fire. Had rotten
branches in it, nasty cracks, no obvious figure. I wanted to do a
little hollow form turning though so figured it would be a good practice
piece. No loss if I blew it up. Boy was I wrong.

The main body is Rowan, aka Mountain Ash.

One side has some nice feather figure, some spalting is mixed
throughout, a bit of burl figure here and there and overall just a
really nice piece of wood. I'm pleased with the form as well. If I can
say so myself, I think I did the wood justice.

Not sure what the lid is. May be some cherry burl, or possibly some
Cuban Mahagony I got from a friend in Florida or some Hawaiian wood I
got from another friend. It's been sitting in my shop for so long I
really can't remember what it is or where it came from.

The finial is rosewood. I finished it with BLO and Formby's Tung Oil
Finish...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb