Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Alder Closed Form

This is a closed form from a hunk of alder that salvaged by the roadside
a couple years ago. The bark inclusion is filled with brass shavings
that I got from the hardware store key duplicator. Packed it in,
dripped in some thin CA glue and turned it flush. Works a treat.

The finish is several coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Attached Thumbnails
Alder Closed Form-alder_1-jpg  Alder Closed Form-alder_2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
This is a closed form from a hunk of alder that salvaged by the roadside
a couple years ago. The bark inclusion is filled with brass shavings
that I got from the hardware store key duplicator. Packed it in,
dripped in some thin CA glue and turned it flush. Works a treat.

The finish is several coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish...

...Kevin

The shape, color and texture all combine to make a work of
art. Very nice!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Start off the day with a smile and get
it over with.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

And this one is amazing!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin
Very nice bowls. I was particularly pleased to see that I am not the only
one who likes Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I pretty much have been using
nothing else for the past 10 years for my bowls. I even refinished a bowl I
made in high school (1952) a year ago and gave that a coat of Formby's.
Don't remember what we were using for turned items back in '52.

Bob
"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
This is a closed form from a hunk of alder that salvaged by the roadside
a couple years ago. The bark inclusion is filled with brass shavings
that I got from the hardware store key duplicator. Packed it in,
dripped in some thin CA glue and turned it flush. Works a treat.

The finish is several coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob Daun wrote:
Kevin
Very nice bowls. I was particularly pleased to see that I am not the only
one who likes Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I pretty much have been using
nothing else for the past 10 years for my bowls. I even refinished a bowl I
made in high school (1952) a year ago and gave that a coat of Formby's.
Don't remember what we were using for turned items back in '52.

Thanks. I've always liked Formby's TOF - it's about as fool proof a
finish as one can get. On bowls I make to hold food I usually use
General Finishes Salid Bowl Finish. More for marketing than anything
else since I can say 'food safe after three days' with them. Of course,
the conventional wisdom is any finish is food safe after fully cured
(which is generally stated as being 30 days.)

I generally use the Formby's for about everything else though. Finished
a cherry bed with it a couple years ago. Went through a *lot* of
bottles doing that. Took four or five coats to get a good coverage...

....Kevin

Alder Tom Storey Woodturning 8 January 31st 07 01:30 PM
Knotty Alder? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 6 February 26th 05 03:04 AM
looking for alder in the Cleveland Oh area... Lomi Woodworking 8 February 7th 05 06:00 AM
Alder baking planks... how to? [email protected] Woodworking 2 January 18th 05 04:32 AM
Is Alder good for turning? Steve Bak Woodturning 5 October 25th 04 09:32 PM