Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Alder

I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split the
wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom

I've got a couple of links for you, saves my fingers and keyboard.

http://www.woodturninglearn.net/articles/spalting.html

http://www.woodturnersofswmo.org/ArticlesTips.htm#top

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 30, 1:23 am, "Tom Storey" wrote:
I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split the
wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split
the wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to
proceed?

Leave the bark on, provide warmth and keep moist.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...alted_wood.pdf

Placing on end gets you to unusable rot on one end while the other may still
be completely sound unless you rotate it periodically. I lay them down and
rotate for more even development.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article bvBvh.825687$1T2.44656@pd7urf2no,
"Tom Storey" wrote:

I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split the
wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, Tom

Tom, you know you have to be careful with splating Alder, right? It goes
from spat to rot sooo fast that it can ruin it. I recently turned four
bowls from very lightly spatted Alder that I rather like. But I
(personally) never -try- to spat it. Our climate being what it is, rot
can come on fast. (actually I was in Parksville on business last week)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
Alder is designed to rot fast, at least here on the east coast. When I was
clearing blueberry and Christmas tree land of alders, I would cut them back
with a bush saw and let them regrow (fast) to about 6" and then apply
Roundup to kill the root. After a couple of months the roots would be so
rotten that you could kick them from the ground. It will spalt in a hurry if
it is left on the ground, but it will also rot fast. We do not try to spalt
it here, we just turn it before it rots and hope the spalting is not too far
gone.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Tom,

It may be easier to walk through 2 year old logging slash with your saw and
sample the alders laying on the ground.
We certainly don't have a shortage of spalted alder.

regards...Ken (Qualicum Bay)

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split
the wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to
proceed?

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Tom
Alder is designed to rot fast, at least here on the east coast. When I was
clearing blueberry and Christmas tree land of alders, I would cut them
back with a bush saw and let them regrow (fast) to about 6" and then apply
Roundup to kill the root. After a couple of months the roots would be so
rotten that you could kick them from the ground. It will spalt in a hurry
if it is left on the ground, but it will also rot fast. We do not try to
spalt it here, we just turn it before it rots and hope the spalting is not
too far gone.

Left coast tree is a lot different.
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...est/redald.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article 9TUvh.828225$1T2.743005@pd7urf2no,
"Tom Storey" wrote:

That's probably a beter idea Ken. And, after our recent winds there will be
a lot more to chose from :)

Yup, trees down -everywhere-

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org