Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Alder

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
news:zFKvh.20949$Fd.12448@edtnps90...
Tom
Alder is designed to rot fast, at least here on the east coast. When I was
clearing blueberry and Christmas tree land of alders, I would cut them
back with a bush saw and let them regrow (fast) to about 6" and then apply
Roundup to kill the root. After a couple of months the roots would be so
rotten that you could kick them from the ground. It will spalt in a hurry
if it is left on the ground, but it will also rot fast. We do not try to
spalt it here, we just turn it before it rots and hope the spalting is not
too far gone.

Left coast tree is a lot different.
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...est/redald.htm