Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Alder

In article bvBvh.825687$1T2.44656@pd7urf2no,
"Tom Storey" wrote:

I can't do much searching on this NG so I'll just ask the question..
I have a few pieces of freshly cut alder, 6/8" in diameter and about 18"
long and still in the round. I have anchorseal and a chail saw to split the
wood. I'd like to spalt the wood a bit. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, Tom

Tom, you know you have to be careful with splating Alder, right? It goes
from spat to rot sooo fast that it can ruin it. I recently turned four
bowls from very lightly spatted Alder that I rather like. But I
(personally) never -try- to spat it. Our climate being what it is, rot
can come on fast. (actually I was in Parksville on business last week)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv