Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Rowan closed form

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Turned this a couple weeks ago. It was a gnarly, ugly hunk of wood that
was about a half inch from being tossed on the fire. Had rotten
branches in it, nasty cracks, no obvious figure. I wanted to do a
little hollow form turning though so figured it would be a good practice
piece. No loss if I blew it up. Boy was I wrong.

The main body is Rowan, aka Mountain Ash.

One side has some nice feather figure, some spalting is mixed
throughout, a bit of burl figure here and there and overall just a
really nice piece of wood. I'm pleased with the form as well. If I can
say so myself, I think I did the wood justice.

Not sure what the lid is. May be some cherry burl, or possibly some
Cuban Mahagony I got from a friend in Florida or some Hawaiian wood I
got from another friend. It's been sitting in my shop for so long I
really can't remember what it is or where it came from.

The finial is rosewood. I finished it with BLO and Formby's Tung Oil
Finish...

Very nice. Some good figure in that wood.

Yeah - it was a pleasant surprise!

Now you ned to examine your firewood more closely. See if you got some more
beauties hidden in the woodpile.

Indeed.

Any chance you could show us what it looks like inside the vessel? I bet it
looks just as nice inside as it does outside.

Actually the inside is unfinished. I got a reasonably clean cut on it,
but didn't really feel the need to go beyond that. The opening isn't
that large, so you don't really see much of the inside with the lid off.

Maybe I'm a heretic, but some rustic features on the wood don't really
degrade it IMHO. They still sell well so I guess I'm not alone in that
opinion.

It's going to the shop I see through today, and I don't have a camera
here at work. If I can find one to borrow I may be able to get a shot
but it may be cell phone quality. I'll see what I can do.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska