Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default OT - Free newsgroup access for Roadrunner / Verizon people

Hey there,

I stopped using Roadrunner's news servers a year ago, so their decision to drop
newsgroups won't effect me, but I thought the following info might be helpful.

Newsguy is giving away a free month of newsgroup access to Roadrunner and
Verizon customers, when you buy any of their accounts. They also have a free 2
day trial so you can check them out before buying anything...

Free Month - http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm
Free Trial - http://newsguy.com/overview.htm

I've used Newsguy for the past year and have been really happy with their
service (long retention, no missing posts, fast dloads).

Currently using one of their 50 Gig accounts ($8 month) but they have smaller &
larger accounts depending upon what you need. Just my $.02

- F

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Frank wrote:

Hey there,

I stopped using Roadrunner's news servers a year ago, so their decision to
drop newsgroups won't effect me, but I thought the following info might be
helpful.

Newsguy is giving away a free month of newsgroup access to Roadrunner and
Verizon customers, when you buy any of their accounts. They also have a
free 2 day trial so you can check them out before buying anything...

Free Month - http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm
Free Trial - http://newsguy.com/overview.htm

I've used Newsguy for the past year and have been really happy with their
service (long retention, no missing posts, fast dloads).

Currently using one of their 50 Gig accounts ($8 month) but they have
smaller & larger accounts depending upon what you need. Just my $.02

- F

Why pay anything when you can get it free? news.motzarella.org Works great
for me and it's fast. No binaries to speak of but most will be done the
road in a few months anyway.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Frank" wrote in message
Hey there,

I stopped using Roadrunner's news servers a year ago, so their decision to
drop
newsgroups won't effect me, but I thought the following info might be
helpful.

Newsguy is giving away a free month of newsgroup access to Roadrunner and
Verizon customers, when you buy any of their accounts. They also have a
free 2
day trial so you can check them out before buying anything...

I corrected the subject line
Free is not free if you have to pay starting in 30 days. There are plenty
of "pay for" servers.

I have no idea if these places are good or not, but it is a start.
http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php
http://www.canue.com/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

According to the email I got from Verizon advising of the change, accessing
the alt.binaries through other news servers but via Verizon still vilates
their terms of use.

Not sure how they will police it but that is what they said.

Here is the text of the message from Verizon.

Dear Verizon Online Customer,

As a Verizon Newsgroup service user, we wanted to let you know about some
important changes that we will soon be making to our Newsgroup service.

On June 24, 2008, we will be modifying our Newsgroup offerings to only offer
groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed below. The
0.verizon.* newsgroup hierarchy will also continue to be available. Users
will not be able to post or download from any other newsgroups using our
Newsgroup service.

comp.*
humanities.*
misc.*
news.*
rec.*
sci.*
soc.*
talk.*

More details regarding the Big 8 newsgroup hierarchies is available at:
http://www.big-8.org/.

This change will not affect your Internet access service. If you would like
to subscribe to newsgroups other than those we offer, you will need to
subscribe to a separate commercial news service. Please note that your use
of any such service is still subject to our Terms of Service and Acceptable
Use Policy.

There are no changes required to your software, but you will need to
unsubscribe from all Newsgroups other than the Big 8 hierarchies and the
0.verizon.* hierarchy noted above. The following link explains how to
subscribe and unsubscribe in Outlook Express:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

IMPORTANT: If you continue to subscribe to unsupported newsgroups, you may
experience poor computer performance and slow throughput speeds. Failure to
unsubscribe may also interfere with the functioning of the Verizon network
or use of the network by other Verizon users, which is a violation of our
Acceptable Use Policy.

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in
the future.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in
the future.

"serve"??

Newspeak for "... continuing to f*ck you over in the future." Verizon has to
love it ... they get to reduce services you PAID for, under the guise of
"public good".

In reality, it's nothing more than censorship ... EXACTLY the kind of crap
you should expect when you dumb down a populace.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

on 6/21/2008 9:25 AM Jay R said the following:
[...]

It looks like you would not be able to access this group, or any other
alt.* group, including the non-binary alt groups, like alt.home.repair,
alt.building.construction, alt.autos.*, etc.
Perhaps, they can revise that to just not carry alt.binaries.*,
alt.binary.*, and the misspelled alt.binares.*.

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jay R" wrote in message
According to the email I got from Verizon advising of the change,
accessing the alt.binaries through other news servers but via Verizon
still vilates their terms of use.

No, that is not correct.

Please note that your use of any such service is still subject to our
Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.

See, it does not say violation, it just says you still have to stay in
compliance with their TOS, such as no spamming, no child porn, etc.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In all honesty, I think the porn aspect is just something to hide behind.

It is all about bandwidth and how it is used.

I grab ebooks and music from a couple of the newsgroups.

I also have a couple of newsgroups on wood, trains and guns that post a lot
of pictures.

I left Comcast years ago because they limited the total message size over a
monthly period.

I just saw they are testing a plan in Texas markets to limit downloads to 5
gig a month. The plan is to charge for more. I suspect that Verizon will
go the same way.