Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Default Want-a-be newbie seeking advice

Hello, I have been looking at this and a couple other NG's on
woodworking, and am interested getting a scroll saw to try my hand
at some of the projects I see you guys working on.

I am less than a newbie, more of a newbie want-a-be. I was in a
store a while back and saw some work for sale. They were stars,
state shapes (Texas), and other nice pieces. I asked about them and
the store owner's father-in-law makes them as a hobby. From that, I
got to thinking that this might be something I would like to do in
my retired years (am 73 years old so don't need any real long term
projects (smile)).

I think I would enjoy turning as well, but equipment for lathes and
tools is just too much for my budget, but I can probably swing the
expense of scrolling work. I have been to several internet sites I
have seen mentioned on here, and have found in Goggle. But I still
have a few questions that I'd appreciate some comments on.

Buying a scroll saw: At a big box store, they have two. One is a
Dremmel, 18 inch throat, variable speed of 650 - 4500, price $199.
The other is a Ryobi, 16 inch throat, variable speed of 500 - 4000,
price $99. They both seem to have the same features. Is either one
of these, preferably the cheapest, okay? If not, what features
should I be looking for in a saw, for example, foot switch?

What kinds of wood would I have to buy. Can standard lumber such as
1 X 6, 2 X 12, etc be used or should on consider buying the exotic
woods, which seem to come at a pretty big premium?

In addition to the wood, what are one's need in various blades, and
is this a big expense?

Heck, I don't even know enough about this hobby to ask intelligent
questions, so any suggestions / advice anyone will be nice enough to
pass on, I will appreciate.
Thanks in advance,
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob wrote:

Hello, I have been looking at this and a couple other NG's on
woodworking, and am interested getting a scroll saw to try my hand
at some of the projects I see you guys working on.

I am less than a newbie, more of a newbie want-a-be. I was in a
store a while back and saw some work for sale. They were stars,
state shapes (Texas), and other nice pieces. I asked about them and
the store owner's father-in-law makes them as a hobby. From that, I
got to thinking that this might be something I would like to do in
my retired years (am 73 years old so don't need any real long term
projects (smile)).

clipped

Heck, I don't even know enough about this hobby to ask intelligent
questions, so any suggestions / advice anyone will be nice enough to
pass on, I will appreciate.
Thanks in advance,
Bob-tx

Most areas have a local high school or community colleges that offers some sort
of wood shop class. Sign up for one. It will (a) give you a better idea of
what questions you should be asking, and (b) give you a better idea if
woodworking really is something you want to try your hand at, before you begin
making what could be a life-long investment.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:

Most areas have a local high school or community colleges that
offers some sort of wood shop class. Sign up for one. It will
(a) give you a better idea of what questions you should be asking,
and (b) give you a better idea if woodworking really is something
you want to try your hand at, before you begin making what could
be a life-long investment.

You know, I took several semesters of woodshop through jr & sr high.
My first project was some sort of little poplar hot plate made up of 3
pieces of wood. I also took a couple semesters of mechanical drawing.
I can't even imagine life without those basic lessons I learned in
those classes... especially the drafting. Granted, it was pretty
simple stuff... but it was a foundation... something to build on.

Joe Barta
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I haven't used the scroll saws you mentioned and I have no familiarity with
them. What I use (about a dozen years) is a 2 speed Delta 16" with quick
release blade clamps. Get the quick release feature. When first learning
and doing simple shapes, you won't do many piercing cuts but as you get
better and start doing fret work, you will appreciate the quick release and
reclamping. I paid about $100 for it back then.

I assume you are looking at one that uses plain end blades and not the pin
type. Pin type blades are much bigger and can't do as tight a turn.

The other thing you will find very helpful is the foot switch. I use this
on a lot of my tools. If something happens, I step back and it powers down.
I had a piece fly off the lathe this morning. It hit me in the face (face
shield) so it didn't much matter but when I stepped back the lathe stopped.
On the scroll saw it beats having to reach for the switch all the time. If
you are doing a lot of piercing cuts it makes life a lot easier. Also,
blades will break and you can stop the saw quicker by stepping off than
reaching for a switch.

You can use any wood. The exotic stuff is nice but the only place I've used
any of it is on the lathe. For simple shapes like state outlines, 3/4" pine
does the job nicely. But if you get into the fret work you will often be
using thin material and plywood works best although it does trade off edge
appearance. Once you start cutting out stuff from the piece, it gets
fragile. Plywood helps keep things from breaking so easy. I use a lot of
aromatic cedar to make Christmas ornaments with. They may break if dropped
but it makes nicer ornaments.

Most of the time I use a #5 blade. Some people swear by spiral blades
because they cut in all directions but a #5 leaves a nice smooth edge that
doesn't often need sanding. Spiral blades leave a rougher edge. I found
them harder to control but others say they are easier. With a #5 blade I
can spin a piece around and reverse directions. Takes a little practice but
changing directions isn't a bit hard. For thicker and harder wood you might
need to go to a bigger blade (#9). I sometimes use a #2 but usually that's
for very fine work or when I'm doing a baby ornament. I mount a picture of
a newborn and make a bell around it. I then cut the picture around the baby
leaving just the baby outline. A #5 blade leaves the paper cut fuzzy so I
use a #2.

Learning is an issue -- I did it by reading Patrick Spielman books and
relying on luck. Better to have someone teach you. I didn't have that
option but you might get the store owner's father-in-law to give you some
instruction. Since we are in a binaries group I've attached a couple of
pictures. The napkin holders are 1/4" plywood and the ornaments are 1/4"
aromatic cedar (from tongue and groove closet liner).

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Attached Thumbnails
Want-a-be newbie seeking advice-napkin-holders-jpg  Want-a-be newbie seeking advice-ornaments-005-jpg  Want-a-be newbie seeking advice-ornaments-002-jpg  Want-a-be newbie seeking advice-ornaments-003-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

Hello, I have been looking at this and a couple other NG's on
woodworking, and am interested getting a scroll saw to try my
hand at some of the projects I see you guys working on.

Snip

Most areas have a local high school or community colleges that
offers some sort of wood shop class. Sign up for one. It will
(a) give you a better idea of what questions you should be asking,
and (b) give you a better idea if woodworking really is something
you want to try your hand at, before you begin making what could
be a life-long investment.

That's a good idea but I live in a small enough town that those
classes are not available. Thanks for thinking that way though.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I started scrolling on the Dremmel. It is not a bad tool at all. A bit
high on the vibration, but not all that bad. Mine was quite a few years
back, before the variable speed model. A friend of mine has that model and
he, too, is a beginner. He likes it. I have never used a Ryobi scroll saw,
but I have never been thrilled with Ryobi tools at all. The few I have
bought had absurd amounts of vibration and had to be replaced by a better
tool. Like I said, however, I have had no experience with their SS.

As to woods, 1x anything is fine. I start my students (I teach high school
shop) cutting heart shaped patterns out of a 3/4", 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" square.
After they get the idea down of how to manipulate the wood I have patterns,
mostly taken from coloring books, that they can choose. I might recommend
this type of approach. As you improve you will probably want to dabble in
some more exotic species of woods and some more intricate patterns. There
are a plethora of books either on-line or at your local book store.

Scrolling is fun, I think you'll enjoy it.

Glen

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hey Bob!
Welcome to the wonderful world of wood chips ... one newbie to another.

I have a suggestion for you. I was looking for a scroll saw too but was not
interested in either of the brands you are considering here.
I'm retired too so I tend to pinch a penny when I can.

I bought a Delta, single speed at a local pawn shop for $45.
Now, I WILL say that after I have used it awhile I truly wish I had gotten a
variable speed BUT for now it works just great.
Delta/Porter Cable are affordable and as far as I know reliable.

Another place to look is on EBay. You can find good used ones and save
yourself some major bucks.

One of the reasons I went with the Delta is because it uses blades that do
not have the pin in the ends to hold it in place.
This way I can use even super fine Jewelers saw blades in it if I want to. I
have used some of the twisted blades to play with and they are pretty neat
when you are really wiggling around though the guys in here that are truly
experienced don't seem to need that sort of thing.

My research (and experience) has been that if you look around, you can get a
great deal on a good used machine. That way you can use the extra money to
buy some better wood.

One source for smaller pieces of wood might be a cabinet shop. I spoke to
one locally and he told me that if I brought down a big trash can and gave
him an idea of what sizes I wanted he'd toss them in and I could have them
for free... free is ALWAYS good!

I just went to EBay and searched "scroll saw" There are a bunch of them for
under $100, you really ought to have a look.

Good luck to you

Kate
______
/l ,[____],
l-L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)

The shortest distance between two points,
is a lot more fun in a Jeep!
Wash behind your ears before you reply :¬)

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:44:33 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

[...]

A scroll saw is not the most-common power tools in a typical woodshop.
I've done woodworking for over 40 years and have not yet touched a
scroll saw. Any new scroll saw under $600 I'd have my doubts. For a
beginner woodworker a band saw is a better choice for versatility, or
a quality jig saw (about $200). Scroll saws are mostly for
decorative work or toys, but anyone can master this skill without too
much fuss.

Look for..
A light and blower are good features. A large cast iron table. Heavy
is good to help cut down vibration and improve cut accuracy. The
larger the throat depth, the larger the piece you can cut. A saw with
a sturdy base is better than a table top model.

You can work with any wood. Generally, the harder the wood, the
slower the speed. Of course, softer thinner woods cut much faster.
Start with less expensive wood as your skills improve. I suspect
scroll saw blades are inexpensive.

I suggest buying a book about scroll saws. You'll get a lot more
detailed information about this particular tool, safety and proper
care. Try a few easy projects at first.

..
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob wrote:

Hello, I have been looking at this and a couple other NG's on
woodworking, and am interested getting a scroll saw to try my
hand at some of the projects I see you guys working on.

Snip

Most areas have a local high school or community colleges that
offers some sort of wood shop class. Sign up for one. It will
(a) give you a better idea of what questions you should be asking,
and (b) give you a better idea if woodworking really is something
you want to try your hand at, before you begin making what could
be a life-long investment.

That's a good idea but I live in a small enough town that those
classes are not available. Thanks for thinking that way though.
Bob-tx

Have you got a senior center or group?

Lots of older woodworkers out there, as shown by this group.. *groan*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob,
I agree with everything Kate said and I will
add this. I started out on a Harbor Freight $40
pin head saw and it got me hooked. I only moved up
to a $100 Delta single speed saw to get away from
the pinned heads. If you just want a hobby with
little expense and a good time then scroll sawing
is the way to go. If you want extra income you
would do better to get a part time job at
McDonalds. BTW just to explain a bit the pin head
blades take a larger starter hole and are a bit
harder to find that's why I got away from them.
Puff

"Kate" wrote in
message
.. .

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

{Snip}
Buying a scroll saw: At a big box store, they have two. One is a
Dremmel, 18 inch throat, variable speed of 650 - 4500, price $199. The
other is a Ryobi, 16 inch throat, variable speed of 500 - 4000, price $99.
They both seem to have the same features. Is either one of these,
preferably the cheapest, okay? If not, what features should I be looking
for in a saw, for example, foot switch?

What kinds of wood would I have to buy. Can standard lumber such as 1 X
6, 2 X 12, etc be used or should on consider buying the exotic woods,
which seem to come at a pretty big premium?

Don't buy anything right now.
(I am surprised. At your age to try any new hobby is impressive.)

This and the rec.woodworking NG are mostly mainstream woodworking.

You need advise from scroll sawyers, not furniture makers.

Start he web site hosted by Scrollsaw WW&C magazine:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/index.php?
Newbie scroll sawyers from around the world seeking advise.
(there are other sites, but this forum has evolved into a great place for
newbie scroll sawyers.)

Wood magazine's forum has a section for scroll sawing, but it is mostly a
place for mainstream woodworkers who have added scroll sawing to their
hobby.

Then on a cold winter day, try basic info from Rick's place:
http://www.scrollsaws.com/
lot a reading and videos on machines, technique, and blades.

Quick bottom line: Big Box Home Improvement stores sell inexpensive scroll
saws. HUGE number of people buy these and discover that they have bought
limited useable products. Vibration too high, and other problems. For
many, to get to where they think they want to be, they have to upgrade from
an inexpensive to Mid-Range priced saws (DeWalt 788 or Delta P-20) in the
$500.00 range. Don't think about the high end saws for now. If you don't
like the hobby, the resale value of a DeWalt or P-20 holds up a lot better
than the inexpensive; your loss will be about the same $$.

Scroll saw is an eye-hand thing. Very limited jigs or fixtures to buy. Its
all about moving the wood past the blade, which takes skill, and that means
practice. Don't take long to learn, and it isn't hard to learn, but you
must learn it. And you learn it by just cutting wood, lots of cutting.

Wood:
for learning keep with Baltic (or Russian) Plywood. This is not Birch
Plywood you see in BORGs. Baltic Birch Plywood comes from the Baltic Sea
and has 'no void' inside veneers and is very stable and won't warp. Comes
in 60" X 60" sheets, with Blue Stamp BB on it. Usually lumber yards can
special order for you, but you can find it. After learning curve, you can
move on to 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch solid wood. Learn on cheapest wood you can
find, plywood is cheap, stable, and easy to work with and finish. Learn on
1/4 inch to 3/8 inch plywood.

BTW: blade stroke of most scroll saws is 1-1/2 inch, while they can cut up
to 2.0 inches, it is not recommended because of sawdust being trapped in
blade gullets. You want all teeth to exit the wood at some point.

Blades:
Several very good blades, none of which you will find in a retail store.
All Web sold. See links above for brand name and where to buy.

Phil

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'm new to scrollsawing also and have the Dremel you mentioned, it was
recommended to me by someone who has been scrollsawing for awhile and
selling his stuff. I like it but can't say it's better than any others as I
haven't tried them. It accepts both plain & pin end blades. The blades a
fairly easy to change & don't require any tools. The variable speed I like
because the slow is slow great for learning at.

A couple of helpful items I used are Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts
magazine it has a basics page in each and lots of ideas. I also like this
site http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ the Help For Newbies has a lot of useful
info.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kate explained on 29/12/2007 :
(snip)

One of the reasons I went with the Delta is because it uses blades that do
not have the pin in the ends to hold it in place.
This way I can use even super fine Jewelers saw blades in it if I want to. I
have used some of the twisted blades to play with and they are pretty neat
when you are really wiggling around though the guys in here that are truly
experienced don't seem to need that sort of thing.

(snip)
Kate,

My Ryobi can take both pinned and pinless. So far it has worked well
for me.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Scratch Ankle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks very much!!!!
That is just the kind of advice I was seeking.
I appreciate it.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Kate" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Very helpful suggestions. Thanks very much.
Bob

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
Bob,
I agree with everything Kate said and I will add this. I
started out on a Harbor Freight $40 pin head saw and it got me
hooked. I only moved up to a $100 Delta single speed saw to get
away from the pinned heads. If you just want a hobby with little
expense and a good time then scroll sawing is the way to go. If
you want extra income you would do better to get a part time job
at McDonalds. BTW just to explain a bit the pin head blades take a
larger starter hole and are a bit harder to find that's why I got
away from them.
Puff

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions and comments.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
Kate explained on 29/12/2007 :
(snip)

One of the reasons I went with the Delta is because it uses
blades that do not have the pin in the ends to hold it in place.
This way I can use even super fine Jewelers saw blades in it if I
want to. I have used some of the twisted blades to play with and
they are pretty neat when you are really wiggling around though
the guys in here that are truly experienced don't seem to need
that sort of thing.

(snip)
Kate,

My Ryobi can take both pinned and pinless. So far it has worked
well for me.

Mekon

Yes, the Ryobi I saw mentioned that it is that way as well. I
didn't realize the importance of this until I read the comments to
my plea for help.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Phisherman" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Thanks for your input. If I had to go $600 for a saw, I would give
up the idea.
I can see many uses for a band saw, but I was more interested in
some of the decorative stuff.
Thanks,
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the comments and the web site tips. Also, I never even
thought about the length of the blade stroke. It is obvious I have
to do a lot more learning before I make a decision. You have helped
in that process.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

As to woods, 1x anything is fine. I start my students (I teach high school
shop) cutting heart shaped patterns out of a 3/4", 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" square.

You're having high school kids cutting out HEARTS?!?!? What an ass
hole. :-)

Seriously though, why not have them cut out Chevy bow ties or Ford
ovals, or Mopar rams, or . . .something else they can relate to better?

Wayne
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
et...

As to woods, 1x anything is fine. I start my students (I teach high
school shop) cutting heart shaped patterns out of a 3/4", 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"
square.

You're having high school kids cutting out HEARTS?!?!? What an ass hole.
:-)

Seriously though, why not have them cut out Chevy bow ties or Ford ovals,
or Mopar rams, or . . .something else they can relate to better?

Wayne

Thanks for your valuable input, but I think that I will ignore it. Should
you decide to teach HS students, you may do as you wish. Were my students
to complain, I would listen to their words and act accordingly, but despite
your protestations my students don't seem to object. They tend to give them
to their girlfriends/boyfriends and appear to enjoy the benefits that such a
gift affords them.

Glen

Seeking Milling Machine Set-up Advice FLowen Metalworking 11 July 28th 15 04:21 PM
Seeking advice Mark L. Woodworking 14 September 9th 05 05:01 PM
New to woodworking - seeking advice Fred Woodworking 12 January 16th 05 02:21 AM
Seeking advice on adding central air Vmcw Home Repair 2 April 17th 04 05:01 PM
Novice Seeking Advice Grindstone Woodworking 8 December 30th 03 05:20 PM