Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Default Want-a-be newbie seeking advice

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

{Snip}

Don't buy anything right now.
(I am surprised. At your age to try any new hobby is impressive.)

This and the rec.woodworking NG are mostly mainstream woodworking.

You need advise from scroll sawyers, not furniture makers.

Start he web site hosted by Scrollsaw WW&C magazine:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/index.php?
Newbie scroll sawyers from around the world seeking advise.
(there are other sites, but this forum has evolved into a great
place for newbie scroll sawyers.)

Wood magazine's forum has a section for scroll sawing, but it is
mostly a place for mainstream woodworkers who have added scroll
sawing to their hobby.

Then on a cold winter day, try basic info from Rick's place:
http://www.scrollsaws.com/
lot a reading and videos on machines, technique, and blades.

Quick bottom line: Big Box Home Improvement stores sell
inexpensive scroll saws. HUGE number of people buy these and
discover that they have bought limited useable products.
Vibration too high, and other problems. For many, to get to where
they think they want to be, they have to upgrade from an
inexpensive to Mid-Range priced saws (DeWalt 788 or Delta P-20) in
the $500.00 range. Don't think about the high end saws for now.
If you don't like the hobby, the resale value of a DeWalt or P-20
holds up a lot better than the inexpensive; your loss will be
about the same $$.

Scroll saw is an eye-hand thing. Very limited jigs or fixtures to
buy. Its all about moving the wood past the blade, which takes
skill, and that means practice. Don't take long to learn, and it
isn't hard to learn, but you must learn it. And you learn it by
just cutting wood, lots of cutting.

Wood:
for learning keep with Baltic (or Russian) Plywood. This is not
Birch Plywood you see in BORGs. Baltic Birch Plywood comes from
the Baltic Sea and has 'no void' inside veneers and is very stable
and won't warp. Comes in 60" X 60" sheets, with Blue Stamp BB on
it. Usually lumber yards can special order for you, but you can
find it. After learning curve, you can move on to 1/4 inch to
1/2 inch solid wood. Learn on cheapest wood you can find, plywood
is cheap, stable, and easy to work with and finish. Learn on 1/4
inch to 3/8 inch plywood.

BTW: blade stroke of most scroll saws is 1-1/2 inch, while they
can cut up to 2.0 inches, it is not recommended because of sawdust
being trapped in blade gullets. You want all teeth to exit the
wood at some point.

Blades:
Several very good blades, none of which you will find in a retail
store. All Web sold. See links above for brand name and where to
buy.

Phil

Thanks for the comments and the web site tips. Also, I never even
thought about the length of the blade stroke. It is obvious I have
to do a lot more learning before I make a decision. You have helped
in that process.
Bob-tx