Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Jewelery Chests X 2 Part 1

Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak in
a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.

I built 2, finished them 3 hours ago and delivered the second one to my
neighbor/customer. It fetched a pretty penny and I let the customer tell me
the price he would pay.

Anyway each Jewelry Chest has over 125 wood pieces and have about 130 rabbet
and dado joints made out of Hard Maple, Tiger Maple veneer, and Spalted Live
Oak.

My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

Comments welcome!

Attached Thumbnails
Jewelery Chests X 2  Part 1-jewelry-chests-6-jpg  Jewelery Chests X 2  Part 1-jewelry-chests-7-jpg  Jewelery Chests X 2  Part 1-jewelry-chests-8-jpg  Jewelery Chests X 2  Part 1-jewelry-chests-9-jpg  Jewelery Chests X 2  Part 1-jewelry-chests-10-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak

in
a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.
My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

I hope you realize that building her this Jewellery Chest means that you're
going to have to buy her more Jewellery?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message

Wow! Very nice. How come you only made two?

Thank you Sir. While these chests are not regular sized furniture, they do
weigh over 50 lbs. each and are kinda hard to move around. More than 2 at a
time probably would have been a hassle. I will probably build 2 more in the
Spring if I have no projects going on.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak

in
a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.
My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

I hope you realize that building her this Jewellery Chest means that
you're
going to have to buy her more Jewellery?

After 27 years she already has plenty. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

Comments welcome!

Super nice. Making a second was probably the best/worst decision. Makes
your wife happy, but now you have to fill it.

Not only shows your skills, but your patience too. Good job.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

Super nice. Making a second was probably the best/worst decision. Makes
your wife happy, but now you have to fill it.

Thank you Edwin, no, her Jewelry box that I bought her some 30 years ago
has veen over flowing for some time.

Not only shows your skills, but your patience too. Good job.

I really enjoyed drawing up the plans and building these chests. I had to
build to pretty close tolerances and made use of my Performax drum sander to
fine tune the exact height of each drawer. My plans called for no gaps
between the drawers and I used the drim sander to establish the 1/16" gap
beween each. The critical part was the 10 dados one each side and the 10
dado's in the middle section to hold the wooden drawer slides.

Thank you again.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak
in a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.

I built 2, finished them 3 hours ago and delivered the second one to my
neighbor/customer. It fetched a pretty penny and I let the customer tell
me the price he would pay.

Anyway each Jewelry Chest has over 125 wood pieces and have about 130
rabbet and dado joints made out of Hard Maple, Tiger Maple veneer, and
Spalted Live Oak.

My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

Comments welcome!

Wow, most impressive. Did you find building two to be more of a burden
than just one, or was it helpful to be able to produce multiple copies of
various parts?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

Super nice. Making a second was probably the best/worst decision. Makes
your wife happy, but now you have to fill it.

Thank you Edwin, no, her Jewelry box that I bought her some 30 years ago
has veen over flowing for some time.

Not only shows your skills, but your patience too. Good job.

I really enjoyed drawing up the plans and building these chests. I had to
build to pretty close tolerances and made use of my Performax drum sander to
fine tune the exact height of each drawer. My plans called for no gaps
between the drawers and I used the drim sander to establish the 1/16" gap
beween each. The critical part was the 10 dados one each side and the 10
dado's in the middle section to hold the wooden drawer slides.

Thank you again.

I built a simple 3-drawer chest using the same type of drawer slide
construction, and it was a challenge just getting *3* drawers aligned
properly. You have my utmost respect! I'm a big fan of spalted lumber, too.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote

I built a simple 3-drawer chest using the same type of drawer slide
construction, and it was a challenge just getting *3* drawers aligned
properly. You have my utmost respect! I'm a big fan of spalted lumber,

too.

I was privileged to see both these pieces, in person, a couple of weeks
before they were finished and I'm here to tell you that the pictures don't
really do them justice.

I agree with you, that is woodworking worthy of r*e*s*p*e*c*t ... just
getting the drawers fit and doors hinged to that perfection is enough to
challenge me for months.

Looks like Leon took the Bluebell ice cream commercial to heart by making
two ... "We eat what we can, we sell the rest".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak in
a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.

I built 2, finished them 3 hours ago and delivered the second one to my
neighbor/customer. It fetched a pretty penny and I let the customer tell me
the price he would pay.

Anyway each Jewelry Chest has over 125 wood pieces and have about 130 rabbet
and dado joints made out of Hard Maple, Tiger Maple veneer, and Spalted Live
Oak.

My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

Comments welcome!

Leon,
Out freaking standing. Beautiful work indeed.

--
Kevin

lindo745 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

I built a simple 3-drawer chest using the same type of drawer slide
construction, and it was a challenge just getting *3* drawers aligned
properly. You have my utmost respect! I'm a big fan of spalted lumber,
too.

Thank you Charlie

Well the equipment really really factored in on this one. As mentioned
previously I precision sanded all the close tolerance parts on my drum
sander including the tops and bottoms of the drawers after they were
assembled but before adding the Tiger Maple veneer. I built the drawers for
an exact fit which naturally prevented one directly above the other to fit
in the chest at the same time. I did this on purpose. After building the
drawers I took side by side pairs and sanded equal amounts from the bottoms
and tops on the Performax drum sander. I literally eye balled the spacing
on every pair of drawers. It was really pretty easy doing the fitting this
way when it is simple to remove 1/128" per pass. ;~) As a bonus this
insured that the bottoms and tops of the drawers were perfectly flat and
each piece of the drawer was a perfect fit in height to each other.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I agree with you, that is woodworking worthy of r*e*s*p*e*c*t ... just
getting the drawers fit and doors hinged to that perfection is enough to
challenge me for months.

Iff you recall, one door hung low by 1/32". After cutting the mortises
1/32" farther down on the chest and testing the fit again the fit was
perfect and a "chill" ran down my back.

Looks like Leon took the Bluebell ice cream commercial to heart by making
two ... "We eat what we can, we sell the rest".

No kidding, LOL I miss the other chest.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Wow, most impressive. Did you find building two to be more of a burden
than just one, or was it helpful to be able to produce multiple copies of
various parts?

Thank you!

Actually I thought that building 2 woud be less trouble and basically it
was. The labor is double but as you well know a lot of work is in the
planing and set up. You hit the nail on the head, after the set up, cutting
48 of a particular part is not much more time consuming than cutting 24 of
that part. The hard part is getting the first part to fit precicely all the
others just fall in place.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message
. ..

Leon,
Out freaking standing. Beautiful work indeed.

THANK YOU Kevin! ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin wrote:

Out freaking standing. Beautiful work indeed.

Yeah... they're pretty good... ;^)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very very cool and no matter how much credit you want to give the tools that
is fantastic workmanship.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
Some weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to use some Spalted Live Oak
in a Jewelry Chest for my wife and there were a few comments to build 2.

I built 2, finished them 3 hours ago and delivered the second one to my
neighbor/customer. It fetched a pretty penny and I let the customer tell
me the price he would pay.

Anyway each Jewelry Chest has over 125 wood pieces and have about 130
rabbet and dado joints made out of Hard Maple, Tiger Maple veneer, and
Spalted Live Oak.

My wife gets the second one for Christmas.

Comments welcome!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
Very very cool and no matter how much credit you want to give the tools
that is fantastic workmanship.

Thank you sir.

Log jewelery box diggerd83 Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 04:56 PM
Opinions on Deep Freezer Chests Bill Home Repair 5 September 18th 05 05:30 PM
TOOL CHESTS J T Woodworking 4 February 24th 05 09:47 PM
Pirate Chests Bob Darrah Woodworking 0 December 18th 04 10:09 PM
What material for jewelery box lining? Brooklin Woodworking 26 September 24th 04 11:54 AM