Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default a couple of signs made on my new cnc router. (0/1)

here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_D2WWKdHY Rebecca's sign

vacuum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CicjCtVc9M

cutting silly things on my table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoO7gnms-D4

cutting knight toolworks sign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOzxaxtZB4

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve knight wrote:
here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_D2WWKdHY Rebecca's sign

vacuum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CicjCtVc9M

cutting silly things on my table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoO7gnms-D4

cutting knight toolworks sign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOzxaxtZB4

Nice new toy. Can you carve a pukey duck with it?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Start off the day with a smile and get
it over with.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve knight" wrote

here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

Hey Steve,

Nice ShopBot! I like your signage. I see you opted for a real spindle ... is
that the Colombo 3HP? It's a good thing when you can hear the servos over
the spindle (can't do that with the Porter Cable Router as a spindle).

Now you can custom engrave planes for people ... and perhaps even inlay.

Regards,

Rick

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
"Rick M" wrote:

"Steve knight" wrote

here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

Hey Steve,

Nice ShopBot! I like your signage. I see you opted for a real spindle ... is
that the Colombo 3HP? It's a good thing when you can hear the servos over
the spindle (can't do that with the Porter Cable Router as a spindle).

Now you can custom engrave planes for people ... and perhaps even inlay.

I have a feeling that may have crossed his mind....*S*

You run a PC? Do you find yourself wishing for more power often? And
when does that happen mostly?
The 5 speed PC's, tripped on me all the time, hand held with plenty
available juice.
I like to think a Porter Cable router will do me, but solid surface
materials do put up a bit of a fight.

The ShopBot people now have another brand (HSD) of high frequency
spindles available in 2.25 and 4 HP, both of which are available in
single phase 220.. which is kinda cool, as the electricians' quotes for
3 phase in my new shop are through the roof... at least for now.

The feed-back I'm getting, seems to be split into two camps:
a) buy what I think I am going to need
b) start off slow/small and buy what I need when the need arises.

....but you mentioned something very important...a spindle is much
quieter.

more research.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

... electricans' quotes for
3 phase in my new shop are through the roof... at least for now.

Rather than 240V/3PH/60Hz, 3 wire delta, find out if the utility will
supply 208Y/120V/3Ph/60Hz, 4 wire Y.

It is a very common service for shopping centers and light commercial
areas in the US.

Not sure what is done in Canada.

Lew
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

| The ShopBot people now have another brand (HSD) of high frequency
| spindles available in 2.25 and 4 HP, both of which are available in
| single phase 220.. which is kinda cool, as the electricians' quotes
| for 3 phase in my new shop are through the roof... at least for now.

I opted for the 5hp Colombo with a Delta VFD and phase converter so I
could use existing single phase 220. I've been happy with this setup.
I think the "Hurt once" rule applies here.

| The feed-back I'm getting, seems to be split into two camps:
| a) buy what I think I am going to need
| b) start off slow/small and buy what I need when the need arises.

Option (b) works so long as you factor in all the costs and delays of
replacement/upgrade. Remember that Murphy's Law applies and that
(especially when you're in a crunch) everything takes longer and costs
more...

| ...but you mentioned something very important...a spindle is much
| quieter.

| more research.

That invitation is still open...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Damn it Steve. I was feeling pretty great about
getting the DOMINO. Then yo have to come along
with your CNC machine. Business must be good. Very
glad about that.

Just remember "I'm a tool maker, not a tool operator".

charlie b
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote
Snip
You run a PC? Do you find yourself wishing for more power often? And
when does that happen mostly?

Yes, when I was doing my consulting gig, cash was (and sadly, remained)
scarce. Having said that, we recovered the cost of the Shopbot, the steel
table and the dust collection system by purchasing virgin HDPE sheets and
cutting the parts ourselves. The price comparision was against a company in
Alabama that extruded their own sheets, had high power CNC machinery on
premises, and reground their scraps. Their cost was twice what we paid for
the 'Bot, for the virgin (not regrind) plastic, AND the shipping to get the
plastic here. Their cost did not include freight.

The 5 speed PC's, tripped on me all the time, hand held with plenty
available juice.
I like to think a Porter Cable router will do me, but solid surface
materials do put up a bit of a fight.

I think the only issue we've EVER had with the PC was when the brushes wore
out ... pulled out the rebuild kit we'd purchased with the 'bot and were
back in business 15 minutes later (took a couple of minutes to find the
kit).

I base all my cut speeds on two things ... never exceed 1/2 bit diameter in
cutting depth, and strive for chip thickness of 0.008 to 0.012" (this was
advice from Onsrud, the folks that made most of our carbide bits). The
router just runs and runs and runs.

The ShopBot people now have another brand (HSD) of high frequency
spindles available in 2.25 and 4 HP, both of which are available in
single phase 220.. which is kinda cool, as the electricians' quotes for
3 phase in my new shop are through the roof... at least for now.

In a past life I repaired VFDs, and surprisingly enough, most of the 5 HP
and smaller drives would let you run off of single phase 220 without issue.
You simply connected two of the three phases. In some drives (those with an
iron-core transformer for the logic power supply) you had to connect the
correct two phases, but that was clearly spelled out. On some of the larger
(say up to about 10 or 15 HP) you could run the drives on single phase, but
you had to derate the motor HP by 25-50% (can't remember the exact number
now ... sorry).

All that being said, single phase VFDs are readily available. I've been
touting them for a few years now ... usually when someone wants to toss a
3-phase motor on a woodworking tool because they don't have 3-phase power.
The costs have come down, and besides being much smaller, quieter, and more
efficient than rotary phase converters, VFDs also offer low voltage
start/stop, ramped starting, DC injection and reverse phase braking to stop
that tablesaw blade RIGHT NOW (less than a second and some change), and the
really cool effect of reversing the blade rotation "just 'cause you can".

The feed-back I'm getting, seems to be split into two camps:
a) buy what I think I am going to need
b) start off slow/small and buy what I need when the need arises.

Rob, if you can afford the spindle, get the 4 HP and only sob a little as
you write out the check (cheque?). You will NOT be disappointed with the
spindle. It has real power to cut quickly through the materials you need to
work, and unless you figured out routine time travel, time is precious in
your (as well as any) business. Plus, your ears will thank you.

...but you mentioned something very important...a spindle is much
quieter.

more research.

"Jetpack?" "Check"
"Roller skates?" "Check"
"10% grade?" "Greased and ready ... Check"
"Ignition in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... "

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice ShopBot! I like your signage. I see you opted for a real spindle ... is
that the Colombo 3HP? It's a good thing when you can hear the servos over
the spindle (can't do that with the Porter Cable Router as a spindle).

Now you can custom engrave planes for people ... and perhaps even inlay.

a hsd 4hp. about all I could afford only 2500.00 (G) yes it's fan is
louder then the spindle is.
yes engraving is something I plan on doing cutting totes too. but this
is more to bring in outside work then anything else.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The ShopBot people now have another brand (HSD) of high frequency
spindles available in 2.25 and 4 HP, both of which are available in
single phase 220.. which is kinda cool, as the electricians' quotes for
3 phase in my new shop are through the roof... at least for now.

The feed-back I'm getting, seems to be split into two camps:
a) buy what I think I am going to need
b) start off slow/small and buy what I need when the need arises.

...but you mentioned something very important...a spindle is much
quieter.

got three phase in my shop no problem at all there. I could run a 16hp
3ph motor.
but the problem with getting a router then upgrading to a spindle is
you would have to send the control box to them. that would not be
cheap.
mainly you get lack of noise and better accuracy. but for most people
I doubt the accuracy issue is much of one.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:29:11 -0500, BumHead wrote:

Just out of curiosity, What does a machine like that cost???

with the do it yourself table about 13k.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:08:06 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Damn it Steve. I was feeling pretty great about
getting the DOMINO. Then yo have to come along
with your CNC machine. Business must be good. Very
glad about that.

no it sucks. got an inheritance and I bought it so I can bring in
other work. it would be a waste to make planes with it.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve knight" wrote in message
here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

It was wierd, but when I watched the videos I could _swear_ I was smelling
sawdust. When I closed the browser the smell of sawdust disappeared too.
;-)

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed them a lot.

-- Mark

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Damn it Steve. I was feeling pretty great about
getting the DOMINO. Then yo have to come along
with your CNC machine. Business must be good. Very
glad about that.

no it sucks.

Sorry to hear that. I've been planning to buy a plane from you. What do
you recommend for someone who hasn't used a plane before and uses mostly
plywood etc.?

got an inheritance

This usually means someone close to you died. Sorry for your loss.

and I bought it so I can bring in
other work. it would be a waste to make planes with it.

Best of luck on your expanded endeavors.

-- Mark

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

P.S.

I've been planning to buy a plane from you. What do you recommend for
someone who hasn't used a plane before and uses mostly plywood etc.?

If you want to chat via email here's a tokenized, element-reversed email
address I check every day.
kram at edrejkram dot moc

- markjerde

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yea! I did a little of searching on Yahoo. Cost is a BIG LOT. But,
sure makes some wonderful stuff.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:17:21 -0400, "young_carpenter"
wrote:

lots

.. .
wrote:

here are a couple of the first decent signs I made on my new cnc
router. you can see some vids of it in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_D2WWKdHY Rebecca's sign

vacuum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CicjCtVc9M

cutting silly things on my table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoO7gnms-D4

cutting knight toolworks sign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOzxaxtZB4

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sorry to hear that. I've been planning to buy a plane from you. What do
you recommend for someone who hasn't used a plane before and uses mostly
plywood etc.?

it's been getting slower for years. but I did not really have any time
for another job. I should be doing tours and shows and teaching. but
I never had the time or the money.

This usually means someone close to you died. Sorry for your loss.

my grandma was 95 and she got to stay at home with everyone. she had a
pretty good life.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:09:47 -0500, BumHead wrote:

Yea! I did a little of searching on Yahoo. Cost is a BIG LOT. But,
sure makes some wonderful stuff.

less then a bunch of bigger machines and the space. I mean I have a
4x8 jointer/ planer /tablesaw slash router slash hole drilling machine
and you get the idea. I can do more with space and less time once I
get the hang of it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve knight wrote:

| hole drilling machine

Turns big bits, too g

(Actually did the cut with a 1/4" end mill in one continuous spiral
path)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
a couple of signs  made on my new cnc router. (0/1)-sb_holesaw-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Non CNC people can't appreciate what it takes to drive an X and Y axis
machine and make continuous circular cuts that are smooth and round like
that, but you have impressed me. I guess it's because of my past life.g I
wish I could afford one.

--
Charley

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Steve knight wrote:

| hole drilling machine

Turns big bits, too g

(Actually did the cut with a 1/4" end mill in one continuous spiral
path)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Charley wrote:

| Non CNC people can't appreciate what it takes to drive an X and Y
| axis machine and make continuous circular cuts that are smooth and
| round like that, but you have impressed me. I guess it's because of
| my past life.g I wish I could afford one.

FWIW, good used machines in a whole spectrum of sizes can be purchased
for /far/ less than the new prices. I've seen used ShopBots being sold
for as low as $2500 - that price was exceptional, but there are good
buys to be had..

If you don't want to spend even that much, but have a use for a CNC
router, let me encourage you to build one. It does require a
reasonable amount of research and careful effort, but it's definitely
do-able. If you're willing to invest the time and effort it's possible
to save even more.

Be prepared to do a lot of learning (and re-learning) of geometry,
trig, and algebra.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar