Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can mortise cuts for hinges be made with a router?

Hi,

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

There is probably not a faster way to do multiple doors, there are router
hinge templates readily available or you can make your own, and hinges are
also available with rounded corners.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

Many thanks in advance!

As others have said, you absolutely can to this. I use a slightly different
approach. You can buy or make a template, but I don't do it that way. I use
my "trim router" because freehanding with a router makes me nervous and
smaller is easier to control. The bite that you need to take for most
mortises is pretty small so even the smallest router is more than enough.

I mark out the mortise just like as if I we going to chisel it out by hand
(except no need to mark the depth) and the hog out most of the material
freehand. I then clean up with a chisel.

The base of your router should be twice as wide as your hinge so that it can
be well-supported. If you are routing the thin edge of a board, it held to
clamp a board along that edge for a little extra support.

Try one on scrap first to get the hang of it and you will fine it to be
pretty straightforward

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make mortise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

As many have stated, it's pretty easy to square rounded corners with a flat
chisel, but if you're 90° challenged, you can use a chisel similar to what
Norm uses to cut corners for hinges. Norm's is spring loaded, this one is
magnetic.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...504,41541&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses, but I would like to admit that I'm
absolutely clueless and have never used a router (rather I'm evaluating
whether to get one b/c the number of tasks for which I need one is
growing).

Can you point to a reference that talks about how templates work?

Also, to give me the most basic of ideas, for a task like this: do I
move the router while the wood is stationary or do move the wood while
the router is stationary?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The Woodworking Channel runs the Router Workshop. They rerun a lot. What has
been running for a few weeks are various shows but there is one hanging
doors. He even show exactly how to built a jig for mortising hinges. Watch
them all, you'll learn a lot. http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses, but I would like to admit that I'm
absolutely clueless and have never used a router (rather I'm evaluating
whether to get one b/c the number of tasks for which I need one is
growing).

Can you point to a reference that talks about how templates work?

Also, to give me the most basic of ideas, for a task like this: do I
move the router while the wood is stationary or do move the wood while
the router is stationary?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Thanks for all the responses, but I would like to admit that I'm
absolutely clueless and have never used a router (rather I'm evaluating
whether to get one b/c the number of tasks for which I need one is
growing).

Can you point to a reference that talks about how templates work?

You can gain a great deal of knowledge reading Aaron, but I strongly suggest
you take a few woodworking classes first. At a bare minimum, get a
woodworking friend to mentor you a bit. There's a number of things you're
going to have to experience first hand that reading or viewing just doesn't
teach you, especially in regards to safety. A router will be very
intimidating at first and can be relatively dangerous if you haven't used
one before.

To be honest, I'd recommend you become familiar with a number of hand tools
first, like the use of a chisel in this case. It sounds like you're trying
to jump into the deep end without going through some of the basics first. No
offence intended. I'd sooner you start a little slower now than lament the
loss of a few fingers down the road.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Screw the hinge onto the door in the place that it should be. Then trace
around the hinge with a sharp utility knife making a cut about as deep as
the hinge.

Take off the hinge and it should be easy for just about anyone to chisel it
out the area that you just outlined, and you'll have a nice, clean mortise
without a router. Just chisel with the grain toward the center of the area
rather than towards the edges so you don't run over. If you need to chisel
towards the edge, make sure that the line that you cut with the knife is
deep enough

I've done it many times. Use the same method for the striker and bolt
plates.

Your best friend in hanging doors is a hinge bit or "Vix bit" to get your
screws nice and straight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...542469?ie=UTF8

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Amen to that, Upscale. I read this thread a bit, and wondered about
saying something about chisels.

I was clueless about chisels when I started too, but that's all I had. A
router was something I worked myself into. But I took a couple of
classes and discovered how easy it can be to use a chisel, and just as
importantly, how to keep one blindingly sharp. Which may be the issue
here. Once a chisel is sharp, the cuts you're talking about making for
the hinges become dead simple.

I'm a great adherent of power tools. They can simplify and speed up a
lot of jobs. But at some point, hand tools are gonna come up and have to
be used. The squaring off of the router cuts is as good an example as
any. And hand tools are not nearly as intimidating as they seem. Not
once you have a feel for them. But that comes with a bit of practice.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some tools that will make the job a little easier:

Corner Mortising Chisel -
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1288&sid=AF989
Mortising Jig - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2290&sid=AF989
Hinge Mortise Router bits (not essential but may be useful nonetheless) -
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=64&sid=AF989

Dean

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
wrote:
Hi,

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Yes, it's quite common actually. The hinges are readily available with
a corner radius to match 1/2" router bits and other sizes also. I
believe even HD and Lowes stock them. There are also commercially
available router guide jigs for cutting common hinge sizes, or it's
not too hard to make your own.

Personally I've always used a chisel and square-corner hinges. Read up
on the usual technique and practice a few times and you'll likely use
a chisel too.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland