Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can mortise cuts for hinges be made with a router?

In article . com,
wrote:
Hi,

I'm terrible with the chisel and wondering whether a router can be used
to make moretise cuts for hinges. I imagine that you would need to have
curved corners in the cuts. Is that so? In that case, do there exist 1
1/2" hinges with curved corners?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Yes, it's quite common actually. The hinges are readily available with
a corner radius to match 1/2" router bits and other sizes also. I
believe even HD and Lowes stock them. There are also commercially
available router guide jigs for cutting common hinge sizes, or it's
not too hard to make your own.

Personally I've always used a chisel and square-corner hinges. Read up
on the usual technique and practice a few times and you'll likely use
a chisel too.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland