Matt

Default Is a 5 lb chuck too heavy?

PSI carries a new chuck
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
UG3418&Category_Code=
and it weighs 5 pounds.

They also carry their PSI Mini-Grip
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
MG3AW&Category_Code=
which weighs around 3 lbs.

I have a JET mini and want to get a chuck like this to turn bowls. I cannot
afford the chucks that are 150 and up.(Oneway etc..) That is just out of my
budget.

My question: is 5 pounds too heavy for my lathe? Can it become dangerous?

This chuck is sold out until April anyway - so I would have to wait, but I'm
wondering if it is a bad idea in the first place due to the weight.

Also, would the weight have any affect on the longevity of the lathe motor?

Thanks,
Matt

Bjarte Runderheim

"Matt" skrev i melding
[...]

The pages you refer to are not available on the Penn State server, so I can
not
see the chuck you refer to, but:

1. The chuck is not too heavy. My two Oneway chucks are around that:
The Talon between 3 and 4 pounds, and the Stronghold at over 6 pounds.
2. The headstock spindle is not part of the motor, so it will not be
affected.
3. I hope you are referring to a selfcentering chuck, if not, chuck it.

4. A precision, longlasting, selfcentering chuck with large and small jaws
and a separate drivecenter is more important than the lathe itself, in my
opinion. Bad tools tend to take the fun out of things, and it all grinds to
a halt.

So, save up money, is my advice!

Bjarte

Darrell Feltmate

Matt
I am confused. Why are you getting a chuck to turn bowls? Do not get me
wrong, I own a One Way chuck and it is wonderful, but I seldom use it for a
bowl. It is easier and faster to rough between centers and use a glue block
for the finish turning.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Derek Hartzell

Personally I think chuck weight is hardly a factor. The load on the
bearings would be the worst with an out-of-balance chunk of wood vibrating,
not dead weight of a chuck in very close to bearing.

Allyn Vaughn

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:38:09 -0800, "Matt"
wrote:

[...]

I have the Jet mini and also purchased a Penn State mini chuck similar
to the one you mention above. I too had a tight budget and wanted to
get a chuck with multiple jaws. I also got the jaws with the rubber
feet to finish turn some small bowls. I use the chuck to turn small
itmes like bottle stoppers and some vessels but not the bowls. for
that I use glue blocks.

The Penn State chucks is adequate and does a decent job. I find the
two rods that are used for tightening the chuck to be somewhat
difficult to use (i.e. always looking for that 3rd hand) and they tend
to bend som I dont get a real good grip. I would not want to rough a
bowl down using the spigot method with this chuck as it tends to fly
off and hit me!. All in all I wish I had saved up and gotten a better
chuck but I was able to get into one right away for the price. I was
in your position and find that the chuck will be a decent starter but
will likley upgrade sometime in the near future.

Allyn
Steven Raphael

This is another chuck that PSI sells that I would not recomend.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...egory_Code=CHU

I purchased one from harbour freight that is similar to this and I would
only turn the very small items using it. (tried turning a small bowl with it
and the bowl kept coming off not a good thing )

mac davis

wrote:

[...]

Matt... I use the Talon on my Jet mini... must be close to 5 pounds
with adapter...
Not only no problems, but I like the weight... I notice the difference
between chuck and faceplate turning because the chuck seems to have a
"flywheel" effect that makes it very smooth and stable.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
robo hippy

Matt,
As you can tell, we all do things differently. I love using a chuck for
turning bowls, and I turn a lot of them. For turning smaller bowls (8
to 10 inches) I use a forstner bit to make a hole on the top of the
bowl, and mount the bowl by expanding the chuck into the hole. Turn the
outside, make a dovetail mortice on the bottom, then turn it around to
turn the inside. This is the easiest way for me. It has taken a bit of
experimenting to learn all of the details of keeping the bowl on the
chuck, like how much pressure, how aggresive a cut, no catches, but it
seems to work now. Do find a local club if you can. It makes a big
difference being able to see something being done and you can ask
questions. Again you will find that you will get a couple of different
solutions to every problem. One suggestion on the chuck, I prefer ones
with a hex key to the ones with levers. You can get better torque and
better hold due to gear ratio.
robo hippy

wrote:

[...]

Andrew Barss

Matt wrote:

: I have a JET mini and want to get a chuck like this to turn bowls. I cannot
: afford the chucks that are 150 and up.(Oneway etc..) That is just out of my
: budget.

: My question: is 5 pounds too heavy for my lathe? Can it become dangerous?

I use a Vicmarc 100, which weighs 4.62 pounds, and it works fine on my jet
mini.

-- Andy Barss

Earl

How many more conflicting opinions do you want? I bought that Penn
State chuck about a year ago and have put 20 # chunks of wood (trued up
first) and never had a problem. The only way it will let go of a piece
of wood is if the spigot isn't properly turned in the first place--no
different than any chuck. I just use the tailstock for the third hand
when mounting wood and then leave the tailstock there until I get
everything lined up, solid, and the outside trued up. I'd say buy one
if you don't want to put alot of $ into turning right now. Sure it's
not as nice and it's clunky, but it works fine. You can buy that same
chuck at Packard now for a few dollars more. They may have them in
stock--I don't know.

Earl

Maxprop

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

Matt
I am confused. Why are you getting a chuck to turn bowls? Do not get me
wrong, I own a One Way chuck and it is wonderful, but I seldom use it for
bowl. It is easier and faster to rough between centers and use a glue
block
for the finish turning.

I use Cole-type jaws for reversing the bowl to finish the base. But I agree
that a glue block is superior for finish turning the rest of the bowl.

Max

Darrell Feltmate

Max
You are correct. I now usually use Cole-type jaws (home-made) for finishing
the bottoms of bowls, but a glue block is faster for the rest of the work.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Matt

I am aware there are multiple ways to do the bowl thing, but I guess the
demonstration I saw utilized a chuck and I wanted to try that out. Don't
get me wrong, the chuck's sole purpose wouldn't be for bowls alone. There
are many applications for a chuck right? (many of which can be done
alternate ways I know) and I feel it would come in handy along my "turning
path."

Matt

Matt
I am confused. Why are you getting a chuck to turn bowls? Do not get me
wrong, I own a One Way chuck and it is wonderful, but I seldom use it for

bowl. It is easier and faster to rough between centers and use a glue

block
for the finish turning.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Matt

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and experiences. I'll let you know
what I purchase.

Matt

Darrell Feltmate

Matt
I have to agree that a chuck is a nice addition to the turning repertoire of
tools, not necessary but very nice. If and when you get one, get a good one.
I like my One Way and recommend it, however the Nova and Vicmarc get
excellent reviews from the people who use them as well. However, do yourself
a favor and try the hot glue block as well. Like a chuck, it is not just for
bowls. I use it a lot for hollowing and assorted other things. Mostly, have
fun and play safe.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

George

"Matt" wrote in message
I am aware there are multiple ways to do the bowl thing, but I guess the
demonstration I saw utilized a chuck and I wanted to try that out. Don't
get me wrong, the chuck's sole purpose wouldn't be for bowls alone. There
are many applications for a chuck right? (many of which can be done
alternate ways I know) and I feel it would come in handy along my "turning
path."

Disadvantage to a chuck of great dimension on your mini is that it takes up
a lot of length. Faceplates would take somewhat less.

That said, I'd buy a chuck in a heartbeat. I'm a NOVA user, and the
standard is relatively inexpensive, easy to use, in spite of the t-handle
advocates, and takes the most useful set of jaws in anyone's stable - pin
jaws.

Take a peek. http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm
and the following. Then remember it holds dowels, soon-to-be Christmas
ornament icecicles, and more....

Derek Hartzell

I've had hot glue let go on me and therefore switched to the chuck, which I
trust more. The chuck recess is the beginning of the recess in the foot of
my bowls. I later round the inside edges by reverse turning it between
centers.

Derek

Maxprop

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

Max
You are correct. I now usually use Cole-type jaws (home-made) for
finishing
the bottoms of bowls, but a glue block is faster for the rest of the work.

I referred to them as Cole-type jaws as I, too, made them from your design.
Thanks for the design, by the way.

Max

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Matt

No 5 Pounds is not to heavy, and YES it can be very dangerous to use a
chuck that does not hold good, You might think $150.- is to much, but
what is your life worth, yes that could happen, a chunk of wood turning
at a thousand rpm can do you in, if it hits you wrong.
I know some turners always use the tailstock to keep the turnings from
coming out but what use is it then, if you want to do some smaller
hollow turning and that dang tailstock is always in the way, and without
the tailstock help you can't turn things safely.
My advice would be to save a little longer and get a Oneway Talon and
you'll be set for life.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo