william kossack

his link is continued on the next line

Bjarte Runderheim wrote:
"Matt" skrev i melding

PSI carries a new chuck

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C

UG3418&Category_Code=
and it weighs 5 pounds.

They also carry their PSI Mini-Grip

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C

MG3AW&Category_Code=
which weighs around 3 lbs.

I have a JET mini and want to get a chuck like this to turn bowls. I

cannot

afford the chucks that are 150 and up.(Oneway etc..) That is just out of

my

budget.

My question: is 5 pounds too heavy for my lathe? Can it become dangerous?

This chuck is sold out until April anyway - so I would have to wait, but

I'm

wondering if it is a bad idea in the first place due to the weight.

Also, would the weight have any affect on the longevity of the lathe

motor?

The pages you refer to are not available on the Penn State server, so I can
not
see the chuck you refer to, but:

1. The chuck is not too heavy. My two Oneway chucks are around that:
The Talon between 3 and 4 pounds, and the Stronghold at over 6 pounds.
2. The headstock spindle is not part of the motor, so it will not be
affected.
3. I hope you are referring to a selfcentering chuck, if not, chuck it.

4. A precision, longlasting, selfcentering chuck with large and small jaws
and a separate drivecenter is more important than the lathe itself, in my
opinion. Bad tools tend to take the fun out of things, and it all grinds to
a halt.

So, save up money, is my advice!

Bjarte