George

"Matt" wrote in message
I am aware there are multiple ways to do the bowl thing, but I guess the
demonstration I saw utilized a chuck and I wanted to try that out. Don't
get me wrong, the chuck's sole purpose wouldn't be for bowls alone. There
are many applications for a chuck right? (many of which can be done
alternate ways I know) and I feel it would come in handy along my "turning
path."

Disadvantage to a chuck of great dimension on your mini is that it takes up
a lot of length. Faceplates would take somewhat less.

That said, I'd buy a chuck in a heartbeat. I'm a NOVA user, and the
standard is relatively inexpensive, easy to use, in spite of the t-handle
advocates, and takes the most useful set of jaws in anyone's stable - pin
jaws.

Take a peek. http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm
and the following. Then remember it holds dowels, soon-to-be Christmas
ornament icecicles, and more....