mac davis

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:38:09 -0800, "Matt"
wrote:

PSI carries a new chuck
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
UG3418&Category_Code=
and it weighs 5 pounds.

They also carry their PSI Mini-Grip
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
MG3AW&Category_Code=
which weighs around 3 lbs.

I have a JET mini and want to get a chuck like this to turn bowls. I cannot
afford the chucks that are 150 and up.(Oneway etc..) That is just out of my
budget.

My question: is 5 pounds too heavy for my lathe? Can it become dangerous?

This chuck is sold out until April anyway - so I would have to wait, but I'm
wondering if it is a bad idea in the first place due to the weight.

Also, would the weight have any affect on the longevity of the lathe motor?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt... I use the Talon on my Jet mini... must be close to 5 pounds
with adapter...
Not only no problems, but I like the weight... I notice the difference
between chuck and faceplate turning because the chuck seems to have a
"flywheel" effect that makes it very smooth and stable.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing