Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Matt

No 5 Pounds is not to heavy, and YES it can be very dangerous to use a
chuck that does not hold good, You might think $150.- is to much, but
what is your life worth, yes that could happen, a chunk of wood turning
at a thousand rpm can do you in, if it hits you wrong.
I know some turners always use the tailstock to keep the turnings from
coming out but what use is it then, if you want to do some smaller
hollow turning and that dang tailstock is always in the way, and without
the tailstock help you can't turn things safely.
My advice would be to save a little longer and get a Oneway Talon and
you'll be set for life.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Matt wrote:

PSI carries a new chuck
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
UG3418&Category_Code=
and it weighs 5 pounds.

They also carry their PSI Mini-Grip
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Product_Code=C
MG3AW&Category_Code=
which weighs around 3 lbs.

I have a JET mini and want to get a chuck like this to turn bowls. I cannot
afford the chucks that are 150 and up.(Oneway etc..) That is just out of my
budget.

My question: is 5 pounds too heavy for my lathe? Can it become dangerous?

This chuck is sold out until April anyway - so I would have to wait, but I'm
wondering if it is a bad idea in the first place due to the weight.

Also, would the weight have any affect on the longevity of the lathe motor?

Thanks,
Matt