Keith Young

Default Shed Renovations

Hi

I have enlarged my shed to 10 x 17.
Any suggestions for Lathe placement besides the obvious.
Staying clear of windows etc.

Keith

Ray Sandusky

Keith

If it were me, I would put the lathe in a position where you will have good
sightlines to the entrance - I can not tell you how many times I have jumped
through my skin when someone has come up behind me while turning.
Unfortunately, my garage only will allow me to set up my machine with my
back to the door - so I will be jumping through my skin on into the future!

Also, consider the window as a source of light from your side or back - it
will not be a good thing if the light is in front of you as you will be
forced to look into the bright light. The lathe should be positioned so you
are looking at a blank wall or a solid surface - this will help you to
better see the form of your workpiece and provide a backdrop for you, It
will also keep people from walking in front of the lathe opposite of where
you are working.

I hope this helps

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

I have enlarged my shed to 10 x 17.
Any suggestions for Lathe placement besides the obvious.
Staying clear of windows etc.

Keith

George

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
Keith

If it were me, I would put the lathe in a position where you will have

good
sightlines to the entrance - I can not tell you how many times I have

jumped
through my skin when someone has come up behind me while turning.

The lathe should be positioned so you
are looking at a blank wall or a solid surface - this will help you to
better see the form of your workpiece and provide a backdrop for you, It
will also keep people from walking in front of the lathe opposite of where
you are working.

I have enlarged my shed to 10 x 17.
Any suggestions for Lathe placement besides the obvious.
Staying clear of windows etc.

Ray was holding aces and eights when they walked up behind him.

I like the lathe up against a wall, too. That way, when taking out the
center of a bowl, the shavings that don't run down the gouge are thrown into
the wall, where they can be gathered up without having to bend over. Also
gives me a place to hang up the tools when I clean up. For reasons
unknown, I continue to set the one in use down in the shavings when I grab
another, but, like my chuck removal, I'm working on it.

My new (to me) lathe will have to go in front of a window, it appears, but I
will have light and dark on either side of a piece of ply to place behind
for following irregular edge pieces.

Keith Young

No problem with the entrance , because the original position caused the
entrance door to nearly hit me on opening . No surprises there. Nice
suggestion to have the chips hit the wall behind me. that would make an
easier cleanup. Shower curtains on each side to the wall would inprove it.
I had a suggestion to place two 150 watt bulbs overhead.
Any comments on best lighting?

Keith
"George" george@least wrote in message

[...]

Ken Moon

"Keith Young" wrote in message

No problem with the entrance , because the original position caused the
entrance door to nearly hit me on opening . No surprises there. Nice
suggestion to have the chips hit the wall behind me. that would make an
easier cleanup. Shower curtains on each side to the wall would inprove it.
I had a suggestion to place two 150 watt bulbs overhead.
Any comments on best lighting?

Keith

==========================
@ 150 watt bulbs will give you good lighting, but not very efficient. Plus
it puts you under a 300 W heat source. I like a combination of flourorescent
and incandesant. The 32W T8 flours give the most light per Watt, and a
couple of soft white 60Ws will compensate for any flicker or strobing.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Michael Lehmann

I've got a 150W halogen shining, over my shoulder, at the headstock. It may
have been OK if I had lived in a cool climate, but North Queensland
(Australia) is rarely cool. And my shoulder gets bloomin' hot.
Mick

@earthlink.net wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

it
will not be a good thing if the light is in front of you as you will be
forced to look into the bright light.

Just prior to moving my turning efforts to a work room in my basement
last weekend (too cold in my unheated garage), my lathe was in front of
a south-facing window for about 3 years. I liked it. It was nice to look
out the window while sanding or hollowing to watch the kid, the dogs,
birds or the grass grow. I don't recall the window light ever being a
distraction or hindrence to my turning. It was also nice to open the
window on the warm days plus I'd frequently put a fan in the window to
push the dust directly outside as it was much quieter than running the
dust collector.

In addition to the ambient light, I also had a 4' fluorescent suspended
a couple feet above the lathe plus a Moffat 100W incandescent task light
mounted to the lathe.

Just some thoughts relating my experiences.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Bruce Ferguson

Owen, Are you sure you have not been turning at my house???? My lathe is in
front of a window, the older kind with a latch in the middle and two hand
cranks one in each corner. It has a metal frame so it is handy to hang up
paper with magnets. Of course tha magnets also hold a piece of hardboard
over the lower pane were it got hit by a piece of wood. With the garadge
car door behind me and the window open I get a nice flow of air. Funny in
the winter it is a cold wind and in the summer a nice breeze. I also have a
floresent light above the lathe and one of those big goose neck lamps with a
magnet for the base that sits on the headstock. My wife now waits by the
passenger door which is by the tail stock or she bangs on the wall. When
you are at the lathe or table saw thats less jumpy that tapping you on the
sholder.

Bruce
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

[...]

Earl

When setting up my mostly ideal shop I had read somewhere to put the
lathe by the window. I have a south facing window and the lathe is at
almost right angles to the window, with the head stock closest to it.
I, too, love it. Great light on the wood, much more interesting than
just looking at a wall or into the shop. I've moved the lathe every
direction possible and this work. I would recommend at least trying it.

Lights--Flourescent with a 150w flood light clipped to the rafter and
shining down toward the end of the lathe. Just bought a goose neck lamp
with a magnet to attact to the lathe bed when I need a close-up for
hollowing, etc.

Earl

Ghodges2

You might want to put some bars on the window, DAMHIKT. Wood on the lathe has
a need to travel to places we don't want it to go sometimes.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga

Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 01:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
shed electrics Matt Pearson UK diy 7 January 20th 04 09:32 PM
Overhead electrical service to a storage shed Timothy J. Trace Home Repair 3 December 3rd 03 04:21 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM