Bruce Ferguson

Owen, Are you sure you have not been turning at my house???? My lathe is in
front of a window, the older kind with a latch in the middle and two hand
cranks one in each corner. It has a metal frame so it is handy to hang up
paper with magnets. Of course tha magnets also hold a piece of hardboard
over the lower pane were it got hit by a piece of wood. With the garadge
car door behind me and the window open I get a nice flow of air. Funny in
the winter it is a cold wind and in the summer a nice breeze. I also have a
floresent light above the lathe and one of those big goose neck lamps with a
magnet for the base that sits on the headstock. My wife now waits by the
passenger door which is by the tail stock or she bangs on the wall. When
you are at the lathe or table saw thats less jumpy that tapping you on the
sholder.

Bruce
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

it
will not be a good thing if the light is in front of you as you will be
forced to look into the bright light.

Just prior to moving my turning efforts to a work room in my basement
last weekend (too cold in my unheated garage), my lathe was in front of
a south-facing window for about 3 years. I liked it. It was nice to look
out the window while sanding or hollowing to watch the kid, the dogs,
birds or the grass grow. I don't recall the window light ever being a
distraction or hindrence to my turning. It was also nice to open the
window on the warm days plus I'd frequently put a fan in the window to
push the dust directly outside as it was much quieter than running the
dust collector.

In addition to the ambient light, I also had a 4' fluorescent suspended
a couple feet above the lathe plus a Moffat 100W incandescent task light
mounted to the lathe.

Just some thoughts relating my experiences.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long