charles jones

Default DVR3000

Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

vernon

I have only had mine about 3 months, but I love it. It is well made and
does everything it says it will. My only problem was with the vacuum
adapter. It is for a shop vac style system and I like a vacuum pump so I had
to make a new one which was no big deal.

Vern
"charles jones" wrote in message
Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to
see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more
importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Joel

Hi Charlie...I bought my DVR 3000 about a year ago and love every inch
of it. Excellent response and customer service from the manufacturer.
It is a bit light and vibrates some when turning out of balance stock
(problem solved by building a stout lathe stand and using about 200
lbs of sand to increase the weight. Do a search on the newsgroup and
you will get alot of input.

good hunting,

Joel Crabbe
Temple, Texas USA

"charles jones" wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Carl McCarty

Hey Vernon,

I've just ordered a Nova DVR, should be here next week. I have not yet
ordered the vacuum adapter.
I was wondering if you thought it was worthwhile when used with a shop
vac ( Fein mini-turbo), or should I just invest in
a pump system?

Thanks,
Carl McCarty

vernon wrote:

[...]

Peter Teubel

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:05:07 +0100, "charles jones" wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

I've been using my DVR for about a year in a production environment. Works great. The only thing that bugs me is the time it takes
to change speeds. As a production turner, 10 seconds is WAY too long to change speeds.. A twist of a knob would be so much faster.

Other than that, it has served me quite well.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Fred Holder

Hello Charlie,

I've had a Nova DVR 3000 for two years now. It doesn't get heavy production
turner type of use in my shop, but it has done everything that I've wanted it to
do. I had a Nova 3000 for about four years before getting the DVR. I had built
the wooden stand in the manual with some exceptions: I used 2x6 stock, I built a
box in the base and filled it with iron scrap, I made the top from two 2x6's
that were spaced apart a bit to allow the chips to fall through.

I believe that the Nova DVR 3000 is the best buy for the money on the market, it
may not be the best lathe, but it is the best lathe for under $2000.

It will take a bit of adjusting to if you've had a lathe with variable speed
that changes with a twist of a knob, but you soon adjust to it. It has a nice
feature, a big catch will cause it to shut down and therefore do less damage to
your project in process.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , charles jones says...

Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Larry E

Charles, the DVR 3000 is an excellent lathe. I'd suggest you check
or join the MSN Nova Owners Group. You will find over 212
Nova/Teknatool users that can offer you verified user experience.
Check it out. Link is listed below.

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners

Regards,
Larry
"charles jones" wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Lem Bledsoe

A few months ago I too was looking for a new lathe and the Nova DVR looked
really good on paper. I visited the local Woodcraft store and got a hands on
look a the DVR. I was not impressed, it seemed very light to me and I could
not justify the $900 additional cost of the variable speed motor over the
Nova 3000 lathe. In my opinion there are a lot better lathes on the market
than the DVR and for less money. I bought a Jet 1442 Lathe and have not been
sorry, and It will do anything the DVR will do and for less money. To answer
your question "more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?" I personally

don't think so.

If you want to spent in the $2000 range look at a Vicmarc VL200. If you want
to spend in the $900 range, look at the Jet 1442. Bet you won't be sorry if
you buy the Jet.

Just my opinion, hope this helps.

Lem Bledsoe

"charles jones" wrote in message
Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to

see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more

importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Peter Teubel

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:06:59 -0400, "Lem Bledsoe" wrote:

is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?"

I personally don't think so.

Personally I do think so. I've got 2 EVS and 2 Reeves drive lathes. The reeves drive requires far more maintenance than EVS, plus
it doesn't have a really slow speed for large, out-of-balance pieces. Again, I've been using my DVR for 100's of hours and its
rock solid.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Lyn J. Mangiameli

I generally concur with Peter. I've had my DVR for well over two years
now, have used it for working with everting from massive 22in bowls,
19x10 inch hollow forms, and miniature work and it has never failed me
but for a bend spindle lock that was easily corrected.

It is true that the very early models, say made in the first 3-4 months,
had some failures, and that a tiny number of models with essentially
prototype boards have seen some failures, but the overwhelming majority
of DVRs have been entirely trouble free, as has been mine.

Almost as important as overall reliability is what a manufacturer will
do if there are problems. Teknatool has shown very direct and, if
necessary, continuing involvement whenever any problems have cropped up
in problematic DVR units. In the last year or so, they have established
their own independent service center in West Virginia, and Tim who runs
it has developed an outstanding reputation for exemplary service.

There are lots of reasons to prefer one lathe over another, but long
term reliability with respect to the DVR isn't one that you will likely
need to be concerned with in making your determination.

Lyn

Peter Teubel wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:06:59 -0400, "Lem Bledsoe" wrote:

is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?"

I personally don't think so.

Personally I do think so. I've got 2 EVS and 2 Reeves drive lathes. The reeves drive requires far more maintenance than EVS, plus
it doesn't have a really slow speed for large, out-of-balance pieces. Again, I've been using my DVR for 100's of hours and its
rock solid.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Denis Marier

What would be the torque of an Electronic Variable Speed at 200 RPM.
I am lead to believe that at low RPM the EVS torque may not be as powerful
as in High RPM. Having two EVS for a while maybe you could comment of
this. TIA

wrote:

is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?"

I personally don't think so.

Personally I do think so. I've got 2 EVS and 2 Reeves drive lathes. The

reeves drive requires far more maintenance than EVS, plus
it doesn't have a really slow speed for large, out-of-balance pieces.

Again, I've been using my DVR for 100's of hours and its
rock solid.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Doug D

Charles,

I am in the same boat you are in. I have settled on the DVR,
primarily for a couple of reasons. First, the majority of my turning
is bowls in the 10-18" diameter range. If I need to turn long
spindles (have yet to do so) I can expand the bed length when I need
it. The relatively small footprint of the lathe is also ideal for the
size of workshop I have. The lathe has been on the market for 3 years
now. Reliability complaints in the past couple of years have been
very hard to find so what problems there were, they have been resolved
by Teknatool. I was concerned about supportability here in Canada,
but the national rep has an excellent reputation and West Virginia, if
required, isn't that far away. In the UK, I believe Sorby is the rep
for the DVR and has an equally excellent reputation from what I can
read. I think my turning abilities will be consistent with the
lathe's capabilities for a considerable period of time. In other
words, I can't see the need for an upgrade for a very long time, if
ever. I have looked at the Jet lathes, but for some reason, they are
hard to come by in Canada. I have also looked at the Poolewood DVSL,
but there doesn't appear to be any stock available in the UK (never
mind here in Canada and none have been sold on this side of the pond).
Have also looked at the new General International lathes that are
about to be released in November. One is a reeves drive which doesn't
interest me, and the EVS model is too large for my shop. The only
complaint I have with the DVR is the lack of a stand as standard
equipment. For you, Sorby apparantly manufactures a stand for the DVR
in the UK.

Ordered my DVR this week and expect it here some time next week.
Anxiously awaiting its arrival. Good luck with your decision.

DD

"charles jones" wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm thinking of getting another lathe for my workshop and have been
reading reviews on the DVR. It all looks good on paper , but I've yet to see
or try one. Have any fellow turners out there got one and more importantly,
is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?

Thanks

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Peter Teubel

That is true. My 2hp vector drive has significantly lower torque at low RPM, but then again its got a 3-step pulley to compensate.
The DVR has FAR more torque at the bottom end. At 100 RPM, I cannot stop it by grabbing the handwheel. Add the fact that you don't
have to change belt positions and you've got quite a capable lathe. I'd put the DVR against any other 2hp lathe at low RPMs (with
the same 1-to-1 shaft to pulley ratio) in a torque contest.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:19:25 GMT, "Denis Marier" wrote:

What would be the torque of an Electronic Variable Speed at 200 RPM.
I am lead to believe that at low RPM the EVS torque may not be as powerful
as in High RPM. Having two EVS for a while maybe you could comment of
this. TIA

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Denis Marier

This is impressive, thanks for the information concerning the DVD torque.
With sheaves, pulleys,2HP motor driving a two inches shaft mounted with two
pillows blocks in line my friend's lathe only gets down to 226 RPM. This is
enough for him to handle large heavy burls. Changing the belt is
accomplished with the assistance of a foot pedal and loading the burl is
done with a mechanical hoist.