Lyn J. Mangiameli

I generally concur with Peter. I've had my DVR for well over two years
now, have used it for working with everting from massive 22in bowls,
19x10 inch hollow forms, and miniature work and it has never failed me
but for a bend spindle lock that was easily corrected.

It is true that the very early models, say made in the first 3-4 months,
had some failures, and that a tiny number of models with essentially
prototype boards have seen some failures, but the overwhelming majority
of DVRs have been entirely trouble free, as has been mine.

Almost as important as overall reliability is what a manufacturer will
do if there are problems. Teknatool has shown very direct and, if
necessary, continuing involvement whenever any problems have cropped up
in problematic DVR units. In the last year or so, they have established
their own independent service center in West Virginia, and Tim who runs
it has developed an outstanding reputation for exemplary service.

There are lots of reasons to prefer one lathe over another, but long
term reliability with respect to the DVR isn't one that you will likely
need to be concerned with in making your determination.

Lyn

Peter Teubel wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:06:59 -0400, "Lem Bledsoe" wrote:

is it as good and reliable as the press declare it to be?"

I personally don't think so.

Personally I do think so. I've got 2 EVS and 2 Reeves drive lathes. The reeves drive requires far more maintenance than EVS, plus
it doesn't have a really slow speed for large, out-of-balance pieces. Again, I've been using my DVR for 100's of hours and its
rock solid.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com