Denis Marier

Default French for Black Locust

I am at an impasse here.
Many french speaking woodturners in eastern Canada use the expression
"Sauterelle noire to describe Black Locust wood. Other woodworker in France
are referring to "Robinier".
I wonder if we can get a consensus on the common word use among the french
speaking wood turners.

TIA

--
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B

John Coulombe

According to the Office Québecois de la langue française

Locust (including black locust) is translated as "robinier"

Honey locust is translated as "févier épineux"

Hope this helps

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:09:47 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

I am at an impasse here.
Many french speaking woodturners in eastern Canada use the expression
"Sauterelle noire to describe Black Locust wood. Other woodworker in France
are referring to "Robinier".
I wonder if we can get a consensus on the common word use among the french
speaking wood turners.

TIA

Ray Sandusky

Why worry about how the French say things - they are becoming more and more
irrellavent.

Denis Marier

Thanks John,

Over in Nova Scotia the french speaking woodturners use Sautrelle Noir. I
wonder where this expression originated.

wrote:

I am at an impasse here.
Many french speaking woodturners in eastern Canada use the expression
"Sauterelle noire to describe Black Locust wood. Other woodworker in

France
are referring to "Robinier".
I wonder if we can get a consensus on the common word use among the

french
speaking wood turners.

TIA

Mark Hancock

The English word you were looking for is "irrelevant"

Ray Sandusky

I know, I intentionally made the "mistake" as a way to poke fun at my own
comment -

"Mark Hancock" wrote in message
The English word you were looking for is "irrelevant"

Leif Thorvaldson

It may be pronounced that way, but the word for grasshopper/locust is
"sauterelle" according to my French/English Dictionary. I understand the
French have a way for sautéing sauterelles that is magnifique!*G*

Leif

wrote:

I am at an impasse here.
Many french speaking woodturners in eastern Canada use the expression
"Sauterelle noire to describe Black Locust wood. Other woodworker in

France
are referring to "Robinier".
I wonder if we can get a consensus on the common word use among the

french
speaking wood turners.

TIA

Pascal Oudet

Yes Leif you are right, it's sauterelle. black locust is called
"robinier", sometimes "faux acacia" (false acacia), because of the
latin name "robinia pseudo acacia". I've never heard someone here
saying "sauterelle noire" for a tree, but I always like the way our
Canadian cousins translate English words (thinking to hot dog *G*).
Pascal