anon

Default UPVC patio door replacemt to french doors

What is the max advisable door width for UPVC french doors?

I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/ double
doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?

Toby

anon wrote:
What is the max advisable door width for UPVC french doors?

I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?

Standard sizes stocked are 1190, 1490 & 1790mm.
I would not choose to go wider than this.
(Thinks windy day / broken pane etc.)

--
Toby.

anon

My thoughts were to either get hooks to hold them open or put units
either side of the doors so the doors are smaller.

I'm thinkink of having a conservatory outside the door anyway.

Thanks

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:47:36 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:

anon wrote:
What is the max advisable door width for UPVC french doors?

I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?

Standard sizes stocked are 1190, 1490 & 1790mm.
I would not choose to go wider than this.
(Thinks windy day / broken pane etc.)

Christian McArdle

I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/ double
doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?

If the gap is very wide, then consider having either a double set of French
doors, or a single centred set with fixed lights to the side. The fixed
lights can either be full height, or just above 90cm, with "wall" below.

Christian.

MBQ

"Toby" wrote in message ...
anon wrote:
What is the max advisable door width for UPVC french doors?

I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?

Standard sizes stocked are 1190, 1490 & 1790mm.
I would not choose to go wider than this.
(Thinks windy day / broken pane etc.)

I would split the width in four and have fixed side panels and narrower doors.

MBQ

Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote
| I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
| double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?
| If the gap is very wide, then consider having either a double set
| of French doors, or a single centred set with fixed lights to the
| side. The fixed lights can either be full height, or just above
| 90cm, with "wall" below.

If the fixed lights are actually openable windows, it can be useful being
able to have a window ajar for ventilation without having the door open.

Owain

Christian McArdle

If the fixed lights are actually openable windows, it can be useful being
able to have a window ajar for ventilation without having the door open.

Although if this is done, care must be taken that the geometry allows the
French doors to be opened without smashing the open window. I imagine that
have the window and door hinges on the same post would be enough to ensure
this. As opening one would tend to close the other, rather than come across
an abrupt stop, especially if the window is unstayed, but held in position
by friction.

Christian.

anon

The brick to brick distance of the opening for the patio door is
approx 1.91m.

I am planning a Lean to conservatory outside this door.
The availavle floorspace for the conservatory outside is 3.5m by 3.5
m.

Ideas please?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:37:56 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

If the fixed lights are actually openable windows, it can be useful being
able to have a window ajar for ventilation without having the door open.

Although if this is done, care must be taken that the geometry allows the
French doors to be opened without smashing the open window. I imagine that
have the window and door hinges on the same post would be enough to ensure
this. As opening one would tend to close the other, rather than come across
an abrupt stop, especially if the window is unstayed, but held in position
by friction.

Christian.

Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
Owain Use owain to email me. wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote
| I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
| double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?
| If the gap is very wide, then consider having either a double set
| of French doors, or a single centred set with fixed lights to the
| side. The fixed lights can either be full height, or just above
| 90cm, with "wall" below.

If the fixed lights are actually openable windows, it can be useful being
able to have a window ajar for ventilation without having the door open.

Screwfix have reduced there cheaper F. doors by £100. 1.8m wide are now £390
Neil

Christian McArdle

The brick to brick distance of the opening for the patio door is
approx 1.91m.

1.2m is pretty standard for normal French doors (including posts). That
would leave 71cm, which could be two 30cm fixed lights, or one 65cm on one
side. The decision would be totally aesthetic. I think that 1.91m French
doors would look too big to me.

The availavle floorspace for the conservatory outside is 3.5m by
3.5m.

I've just built a 2.6m x 3.1m from Baltic Pine. I haven't got the last of
the glass in yet, but you can tell it will look fantastic, at least when it
isn't covered by a B&Q value tarpaulin. There was/is so much work involved
in painting, but the quality is in a different league to uPVC looks wise.
uPVC would have looked terrible on my Edwardian house. It's their Sunlounge
design (which by the time I'd finished with the options list is
indistinguishable from the Edwardian) with glass double glazing throughout
(including the roof and A-frame), genuine single georgian bar (not stick
on), beaded arches and the fielded full height wooden panels (dwarf wall
would have looked odd).

Christian.

P.S. Try to get wood doors. Plastic French doors are a bit of an oxymoron.

anon

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:39:00 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

[...]

I'd like wood but cost is a major factor with my first child on the
way.

What is "fixed lights"?

Many thanks,

Christian McArdle

I'd like wood but cost is a major factor with my first child on the
way.

They'll probably no different in cost than uPVC. They might even be cheaper.

What is "fixed lights"?

It is a technical term for a window that can't open.

Christian.

MBQ

"Owain" wrote in message et...
"Christian McArdle" wrote
| I'm looking to replace an aged sliding double door with french/
| double doors. Is this advisable to have wide doors like this?
| If the gap is very wide, then consider having either a double set
| of French doors, or a single centred set with fixed lights to the
| side. The fixed lights can either be full height, or just above
| 90cm, with "wall" below.

If the fixed lights are actually openable windows, it can be useful being
able to have a window ajar for ventilation without having the door open.

Owain

Or get tilt and turn doors which can open as doors or hinged along the
bottom as windows. Might be more expensive than plain doors and
opening side panels though.

MBQ