anon

Default UPVC patio door replacemt to french doors

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:39:00 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The brick to brick distance of the opening for the patio door is
approx 1.91m.

1.2m is pretty standard for normal French doors (including posts). That
would leave 71cm, which could be two 30cm fixed lights, or one 65cm on one
side. The decision would be totally aesthetic. I think that 1.91m French
doors would look too big to me.

The availavle floorspace for the conservatory outside is 3.5m by
3.5m.

I've just built a 2.6m x 3.1m from Baltic Pine. I haven't got the last of
the glass in yet, but you can tell it will look fantastic, at least when it
isn't covered by a B&Q value tarpaulin. There was/is so much work involved
in painting, but the quality is in a different league to uPVC looks wise.
uPVC would have looked terrible on my Edwardian house. It's their Sunlounge
design (which by the time I'd finished with the options list is
indistinguishable from the Edwardian) with glass double glazing throughout
(including the roof and A-frame), genuine single georgian bar (not stick
on), beaded arches and the fielded full height wooden panels (dwarf wall
would have looked odd).

Christian.

P.S. Try to get wood doors. Plastic French doors are a bit of an oxymoron.

I'd like wood but cost is a major factor with my first child on the
way.

What is "fixed lights"?

Many thanks,