Denis Marier

Default Burl and Bourle (french)

The English Harrarp's (2001) does not have the word BURL. The Canadian
Oxford
states that a Burl comes from old French "Bourle". I wonder what the French
woodturners are using today to depict a flattened knotty growth (burl) on a
tree.

Denis Marier

Burr appears to be the standardized word?
The problem is in the metal industries the word "burr" denotes rough edge
left on cut or punched metal. Removing of the rough edge is done with a
de-burring tool or machine. The word "burr and de-burring" is commonly used
in metal machining and stamping drawings made in the UK.
That why I am not too amenable to use "burr" as the standardized word.

"Adrien" wrote in message
om...
I think the English call a burl a "burr"

As Churchill said of the US and England, "two countries divided by a
common language"

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

The English Harrarp's (2001) does not have the word BURL. The Canadian
Oxford
states that a Burl comes from old French "Bourle". I wonder what the

French
woodturners are using today to depict a flattened knotty growth (burl)

on a
tree.

Kevin & Theresa Miller

Denis Marier wrote:
The English Harrarp's (2001) does not have the word BURL. The Canadian
Oxford
states that a Burl comes from old French "Bourle". I wonder what the French
woodturners are using today to depict a flattened knotty growth (burl) on a
tree.

So are the naughty growths on women the reason we have "bourlesque" shows?
Bwahahahaha...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Dave Peebles

Hello Adrien,

I have always loved that quote : ) but I believe it was George Bernard Shaw
who is credited with it. He had some other classics too..

http://www.workinghumor.com/quotes/gb_shaw.shtml

Best wishes,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning

www.bowlturner.com

"Adrien" wrote in message
As Churchill said of the US and England, "two countries divided by a
common language"

Pascal Oudet

Hi Denis,

the French name is "loupe". "loupe" is already described in the French
academy dictionnary (1798) as an excrescence (not limited to trees)
Sometimes, when the burl is caused by the successive trimming of
branches (for example in plane), it is called "boule" (ball).
I've never heard the word "bourle", but it is very close from
"bourrelet" (draught in UK eng, draft in US !), so it's quite
possible.
hth,

Pascal
Grenoble, France
Denis Marier

I am glad to find out that the word "Loupe" is in use in France to describe
a burl.
I wonder if the International French community is making use of the same
word?
The word "Loupe" reminds me of "Loupé".
Manqué, raté. Un examen loupé. C'est fichu, complètement loupé. Ref. Robert

Denis
Rothesay, New Brunswick

om...