Denis Marier

Default Burl and Bourle (french)

I am glad to find out that the word "Loupe" is in use in France to describe
a burl.
I wonder if the International French community is making use of the same
word?
The word "Loupe" reminds me of "Loupé".
Manqué, raté. Un examen loupé. C'est fichu, complètement loupé. Ref. Robert

Denis
Rothesay, New Brunswick

"Pascal Oudet" wrote in message
om...
Hi Denis,

the French name is "loupe". "loupe" is already described in the French
academy dictionnary (1798) as an excrescence (not limited to trees)
Sometimes, when the burl is caused by the successive trimming of
branches (for example in plane), it is called "boule" (ball).
I've never heard the word "bourle", but it is very close from
"bourrelet" (draught in UK eng, draft in US !), so it's quite
possible.
hth,

Pascal
Grenoble, France