Denis Marier

Default Burl and Bourle (french)

Burr appears to be the standardized word?
The problem is in the metal industries the word "burr" denotes rough edge
left on cut or punched metal. Removing of the rough edge is done with a
de-burring tool or machine. The word "burr and de-burring" is commonly used
in metal machining and stamping drawings made in the UK.
That why I am not too amenable to use "burr" as the standardized word.

"Adrien" wrote in message
om...
I think the English call a burl a "burr"

As Churchill said of the US and England, "two countries divided by a
common language"

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

The English Harrarp's (2001) does not have the word BURL. The Canadian
Oxford
states that a Burl comes from old French "Bourle". I wonder what the

French
woodturners are using today to depict a flattened knotty growth (burl)

on a
tree.