Bob S.

Default French Windows - Draught and Weather sealing by design ?

Nicholas,

I'll assume that by French windows you mean the same as French door ?

I'm in the process of refurbishing a set of French doors. Completely
rebuilding two sets so that they can be used in a 5-1/4" wide wall (vs. std
4-1/2"). Making all new hardwood frames and thresholds and went looking for
seals also. Found the borg (HD) carries some vinyl-clad foam seals (V-fold)
that have a tail on them that slides into a 1/8" groove and stays snug. Is
it the best - I doubt that but it appears to be what is used on most French
door sets I've seen. The sets I'm rebuilding will have a center pillar and
I can use the same type of seal on all 3 edges (top and sides). If yours
does not have a center jam - then you will need a different type of seal for
the edges where the two doors meet.

frame
|----------|-----|
| | |
| | | 1/2" thick door jam
| | | |
| | | |
| | |.....|
| | ^_____seal slips in here
| |
|...............|

Bob S.

"Nicholas" wrote in message
Hi

I'm making some French Windows (42mm softwood) and want to know the
best available weather/draught seal that I can incorporate into the
design.

None of the members are cut yet so I can cut a groove if necessary.

TIA

Nicholas

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:23:59 GMT, "Bob S."
pixelated:

Nicholas,
I'll assume that by French windows you mean the same as French door ?

Bbbut I thought ALL windows were non-combative...

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design