Maxprop

Default rust-proofing the ways

What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

Reyd Dorakeen

look for dry lubricant, cant recall the exact name, but it comes in a
aerosol spray can, and works well for me, dries very slippery, and actually
seems to make getting finish and wax off the ways too.
in article et, Maxprop at
wrote on 3/18/04 8:51 PM:

What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

Jgklr2732

WD 40 works for me. I use it after turning a green piece that has tannin and
the bed ways rust, the banjo squals and the tool rest binds. Spray some WD 40,
wipe with a paper towel and all works like new again with. I don't use wax
because it invites tailstock creep while WD 40 leaves a patina that helps the
grip.

DJ Delorie

Paste wax (yup, same as I use for finishes). My lathe has been
through a rainstorm and the ways are still OK. Apply a new coat
before each session of green turning if you're paranoid.

Ray Sandusky

I spray everything with WD-40 - I buy it by the gallon can and put it in a
spray bottle and squirt to all over everything almost every day - it works
for me on my Stubby

Ray

"Maxprop" wrote in message
news
What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

AHilton

It was a reference to the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where the father
would use Windex for everything. Squirting it all over everything for any
ailment. Windows are good for you too. g

"AHilton" wrote in message
How are you with Windex? g

- Andrew

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
I spray everything with WD-40 - I buy it by the gallon can and put it

in
spray bottle and squirt to all over everything almost every day - it

works
for me on my Stubby

Ray

Maxprop

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message

I spray everything with WD-40 - I buy it by the gallon can and put it in a
spray bottle and squirt to all over everything almost every day - it works
for me on my Stubby

WD-40 and Boeshield T-9 are both water-displacement solutions, so they
should keep the ways nice and rust-free. I'll try the WD, since I have
about a half-dozen cans sitting around the shop.

Several of you suggested wax, so I might try some Maxima Products Chain Wax,
a product for lubing motorcycle chains--when I still had a motorcycle with a
chain, and see if that doesn't do the job as well. At last a possible use
for that half-used can that's been collecting dust.

Max

Silvan

Maxprop wrote:

Several of you suggested wax, so I might try some Maxima Products Chain
Wax, a product for lubing motorcycle chains--when I still had a motorcycle
with a
chain, and see if that doesn't do the job as well. At last a possible
use for that half-used can that's been collecting dust.

I'd be afraid to try that, personally, though I don't really know what it
is.

FWIW, I use Johnson's paste wax on my mini. I haven't reapplied it in a
month or so, and almost everything I turn is wringing wet green. My lathe
sits near a door that doesn't seal very well, and some rain occasionally
gets into the shop. It's not a friendly environment, but so far, no rust.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mike Vore

I use WD-40 in a pinch, but prefer Boshield T-9. It contains a wax
that will keep water off. Spray on, wipe off for a light coat of
wax. Spray on, wait a minute or so for a heavier coat of wax. Spray
on, wait a long time for a heavy coat of wax. Not only do I use it
on my lathe bed, but on my bicycle chain - it lubes and keeps it clean.
I have not had any other chain lube stay as clean as T-9. You may have
to look for it in you local Marine shop but it is making inroads into
the hardware/woodworking markets.

mike

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 04:51:33 GMT, Maxprop wrote:

What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items
Maxprop

"Silvan" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:

Several of you suggested wax, so I might try some Maxima Products Chain
Wax, a product for lubing motorcycle chains--when I still had a

motorcycle
with a
chain, and see if that doesn't do the job as well. At last a possible
use for that half-used can that's been collecting dust.

I'd be afraid to try that, personally, though I don't really know what it
is.

Mike,

Maxima Products describes their Chain Was as a "superior power spray
lubricant for all chain care needs." It's a paraffin-base material in, I
suspect, a liquid petroleum-based carrier. They claim it will "displace
water" (ala WD-40), prevent corrosion, and is harmless to the rubber o-rings
in motorcycle chains. What I liked about it when I owned a motorcycle with
a chain was that it didn't fling off the rear sprocket, like oils and such.

I tried some on the ways today, and when I returned 15 minutes later it was
as if I'd applied a healthy coating of wax. It seemed fairly dry, as
opposed to gooey or damp.

I proceeded to turn a spindle of black walnut into a piece of attractive
firewood, and the dust and shavings didn't seem to stick to the ways. I'm
impressed, and may buy another can if it continues to perform this way.

Max