Mike Vore

Default rust-proofing the ways

I use WD-40 in a pinch, but prefer Boshield T-9. It contains a wax
that will keep water off. Spray on, wipe off for a light coat of
wax. Spray on, wait a minute or so for a heavier coat of wax. Spray
on, wait a long time for a heavy coat of wax. Not only do I use it
on my lathe bed, but on my bicycle chain - it lubes and keeps it clean.
I have not had any other chain lube stay as clean as T-9. You may have
to look for it in you local Marine shop but it is making inroads into
the hardware/woodworking markets.

mike

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 04:51:33 GMT, Maxprop wrote:

What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items