Victor Radin

Default rust-proofing the ways

In article . net,
says...
What do most folks use to keep the ways from rusting, as well as the
headstock and tailstock sliding smoothly? I've tried grease and other
petroleum-based lubes (liquids), but they all foul with shaving dust
immediately, making a mess to clean up. Am I being overly critical, or is
there something that works well without collecting shavings?

Max

I used beeswax. Remove everything that slides then clean all the gunk
off the ways, underside of the tailstock, banjo, etc with mineral
spirits. I use a heat gun, but a hair dryer will work- warm up the ways
until the wax melts when rubbed on the metal, and apply a liberal coat
or three of wax. Warm it again so the wax melts into the pores of the
metal. Let cool then buff it out. Repeat. Same treatment for the
underside of the tailstock and banjo. I do this about every 5 or 6
months as part of regular maintenance, and never get any fouling from
shavings or dust. If I need periodic re-wax in the middle of a project
or between 'scheduled' maintenance times, I'll just put a single very
light coat of Minwax Paste Wax on and buff it out.

It's personal preference, but I like pure beeswax instead of the
carnauba mix, but as far as I know, almost any wax will work the same
way.

I avoid petro-lubes as they tend to get on the finished pieces and can
cause discoloration or deep stains.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic