Maxprop

Default rust-proofing the ways

"Silvan" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:

Several of you suggested wax, so I might try some Maxima Products Chain
Wax, a product for lubing motorcycle chains--when I still had a

motorcycle
with a
chain, and see if that doesn't do the job as well. At last a possible
use for that half-used can that's been collecting dust.

I'd be afraid to try that, personally, though I don't really know what it
is.

Mike,

Maxima Products describes their Chain Was as a "superior power spray
lubricant for all chain care needs." It's a paraffin-base material in, I
suspect, a liquid petroleum-based carrier. They claim it will "displace
water" (ala WD-40), prevent corrosion, and is harmless to the rubber o-rings
in motorcycle chains. What I liked about it when I owned a motorcycle with
a chain was that it didn't fling off the rear sprocket, like oils and such.

I tried some on the ways today, and when I returned 15 minutes later it was
as if I'd applied a healthy coating of wax. It seemed fairly dry, as
opposed to gooey or damp.

I proceeded to turn a spindle of black walnut into a piece of attractive
firewood, and the dust and shavings didn't seem to stick to the ways. I'm
impressed, and may buy another can if it continues to perform this way.

Max