Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning while Camping

I've been toying with the notion latley of trying to somehow get my Rikon
lathe laoded into the camper without stirring raw emotions from my wife.
Aside from making the wife mad (which sometimes seems easy for me to do),
I've realized a couple of situations that need remedied prior to slinging
saw dust in the national parks. 1st is it allowed? Since this could be a
hazardous situation what with a 30-50 lb. piece of wood turning at 1000-2000
rpm and the potential for this thing to go flying off and through the
nearest neighbors tent, do campgrounds prefer that we not participate in
this type hobby while visiting?
Another question would be where to set up the lathe? I mean where
physically. Can I drill some extra holes into the wooden picnic table that
has "Johnny loves Sally" carved into it. How about the grill stand or
whatever it is that seems to be on the edge of most Corp of Engineer
campsites around here, I could see that coming in real handy for mounting a
lathe to. Or, should I build some sort of portable contraption that doesn't
take up a lot of precious camper space that can be folded and unfolded
numerous times at numerous camping destinations?
How about wood? I've seen numerous trees around the campgrounds that have
been cut up for firewood and left for the campers (or sold), probably
wouldn't be a problem. Transporting my own wood to the site for turning?
That becomes a problem in some states that prohibits you from bringing wood
in from out of state to prevent the spread of insects.
How about turning your neighbors firewood into a keepsake? With their
permission of course and for a small commission for doing so. The only
problem I see here is that I will be giving to them a piece of turned wood
(probably in the shape of a bowl) that hasn't been allowed to dry properly
and will warp and possibly crack in the future. I quess this could be
explained to them in advance of their making the purchase. Also, if turned
down to a rather thin turning, it might warp some but is less likely to
crack.
I went camping this weekend and these were a few of the questions I pondered
while sitting about watching the sun set over the lake. I fished, swam,
biked, walked, hiked, ate, slept, and everything else you do while camping
(at least camping in an RV). The one thing I kept wanting to do was ask the
neighbor if I could turn a piece of elm he had cut for fire wood into a bowl
or other trinket, but my lathe was at the house. And so I daydreamed about
turning the elm branch into the most beautiful small bowl.
Today, after cleaning up the camper, I began again to ponder how a man might
get his lathe to the campsite with him and thought perhaps I could pass this
question (and others) off to some of the more esteemed wood turners who have
helped me in the past. I've read a few of your responses on here and you've
mentioned camping and perhaps you've already answered these questions for
yourself. If you have and wouldn't mind doing so, could you please enlighten
a fellow about what should or shouldn't be done. If you can help me out with
these problems, I'm sure I can sneak the lathe into the camper without my
wife knowing anything about it. Well, at least till we get to the campsite
and she hears me fire up the electric chainsaw.
"I'm just cutting us some firewood sweetie."

Thanks,
JD (Kentucky)

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:15:09 -0500, "JD" wrote:

No experience with spinning large pieces of wood in National Parks, but I used
to carry my Jet mini and a workmate in our RV trailer..

I did quite a few pens in RV parks and usually sold at least one a weekend,
usually covering the weekend park fee..
Great conversation starter, too.. ;-]

For a while we were considering full-time RVing and I sent out a spam to RV
parks offering to give a basic turning class in exchange for park fees...
I actually got 5 or 6 favorable replies..

BTW: the mini, workmate and a box of tools all fit under the bed, also
accessible from a hatch on the outside of the RV..
I never stayed out more than a weekend, or I would have had to brought a grinder
and jigs.. bummer..

OTOH, maybe a little axe/knife sharpening for the neighbors to make them less
likely to complain about the idiot turning wood next door?

Oh.. you could also offer free shavings for kindling as a good neighbor thing..
As to the wife.. She really liked the lathe along because I drank less beer and
had something to keep busy at while she did her thing.. lol

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 30, 4:15 pm, "JD" wrote:

What an odd post.

I've realized a couple of situations that need remedied prior to slinging
saw dust in the national parks. 1st is it allowed?

I don't think they care about a little sawdust. But if you are
seriously turning a 30 - 50 pound blank, you will make trashcan bags
full of it. Will you be cleaning up after yourself?

Since this could be a
hazardous situation what with a 30-50 lb. piece of wood turning at 1000-2000
rpm and the potential for this thing to go flying off and through the
nearest neighbors tent, do campgrounds prefer that we not participate in
this type hobby while visiting?

Well, let's see. Say JD has his family enjoying a nice evening in the
tent after a good day out at the park. JD Jr. is snoozing happily
away and a 50 pound hunk slams into the fabric of the tent and smashes
his head like a ripe melon.

Hmmm...... I wonder what JD would think. Should Wally Woodturner have
been allowed to put life and limb of another's family at risk with no
consideration for other park guests? Certainly something to ponder on
the way to the hospital.

Another question would be where to set up the lathe? I mean where
physically. Can I drill some extra holes into the wooden picnic table that
has "Johnny loves Sally" carved into it.

Here in Texas, we are a bit backwards. We try to catch folks that
deface PUBLIC property, property paid for by tax payers. It is
illegal, and they will prosecute and fine you like you wouldn't
believe if they catch you.

And the logic of a seven year old is no defense. "Someone else did it
first!" is no excuse. Let me help you. For example, you cannot use
the heritage oak in a park for an engine hoist, even if someone years
ago put a rope swing on it. And because there was a small scorched
spot where an evening fire got out of hand, it doesn't mean you can
haul your trash in and burn it on that spot as well. No piling on.

Or, should I build some sort of portable contraption that doesn't
take up a lot of precious camper space that can be folded and unfolded
numerous times at numerous camping destinations?

What kind of folding device could you build that would let you safely
spin "a 30-50 lb. piece of wood turning at 1000-2000 rpm" ? It takes a
pretty good chunk of metal lathe to spin a 50 piece at 1000 rpms, and
that's the bottom of your example.

Transporting my own wood to the site for turning?
That becomes a problem in some states that prohibits you from bringing wood
in from out of state to prevent the spread of insects.

Most parks do not allow wood in or out for that very reason. Many do
no allow fires at all since many areas have had such terrible
droughts. You could be up against it with the wood problem. You
should call the parks before you go.

How about turning your neighbors firewood into a keepsake? With their
permission of course and for a small commission for doing so.

Now you are talking about setting up a business on the park land. Not
allowed here or in California. Having camped in both place quite a
bit, they will no allow you to set up a "for profit" enterprise. To
do that you must petition the proper governing agencies, provide proof
of insurance, and still get approval. There are no approvals here
(and none I saw in CA) as they rely on the income from their own gift
shops as part of the budget considerations and since they are
constantly in shortfall, the guard their territory well.

Good luck with all of this.

I think if you went to a park with a little mini lathe and screwed
around turning small stuff, you would probably be just fine. There
are others here that have done that, and even a couple I have been in
contact with that used to turn simple Christmas ornaments in the Fall
and trade them for beers. Never a problem.

But if you start spinning up 50 chunks of wood and put others at any
kind of risk at all, they will not permit it. If you start cutting,
sawing or drilling into the picnic tables (at least around here) you
will be arrested. Unless you had your own generator, the probably
won't let you use electricity for anything more than a light. Then if
you are found out to be selling "commissions" in the park, they will
most likely ask you to stop, and maybe write you a citation for
illegal peddling.

But to do those things in a private park may be OK. They have their
own rules, and you should check with them before starting anything up.

Like I said, good luck.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks JD for raising an interesting question and to Robert and Mac for
their usual cogent responses. I imagine most of us have mused about the
ways & whys we enjoy camping. I mean weekends of just a few days in a
tent or camper, not living in a semi-mobile domicile or a rented cabin
for the season. Nothing wrong with that.

My 'whys' have always been for a change, a respite away from home and
its usuals. My "ways' meant no lathes, tv's, computers, ham rigs, cell
phones, air conditioners, electrical appliances, newspapers, even
books. These are part of my life at home and each is a pleasure. I
camped for a change to a simpler way and took as little impedimenta as
possible. camping was not only for pleasure in itself, but also to
enhance the pleasures of home. Camping was a change, never an escape.

Of course, the 'whys' & ways' of each of us will vary widely, but I
camped to enjoy nature, not to turn wood or do what I was doing at home
in a different location. No matter how nice the surroundings, I didn't
want to read the NY times with eggs benedict & a latte for breakfast,
watch the world series with a beer in the afternoon and enjoy beef
bourguignon, baked alaska and a demi-tasse for dinner. I'd rather canoe,
watch the sun set and roast hot dogs for supper and later at nite wonder
about the man in the moon if someone had stolen my tent.

YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn. OTOH,
for many of us (esp. wives) fine restaurants, tours, theaters, maid
service and being generally pampered is a huge change. Camping in a
great city ain't bad ..... if you can afford it!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to places of
historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley, and
seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their tents
face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large enclosed
trailer, with a complete shop inside. Besides selling your turnings to the
campers, you could probably get additional revenue by putting beer ads on
the outside surfaces. For the sarcasm impaired: TIC.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

OK, not that I don't agree with Arch, Leo, and others about camping is a
release from everyday life, I guess I should better explain my real concern.
A manager of local state park has contacted me wanting to do a fall crafts
weekend. Basically, she would like to invite craftsmen to set up camp in the
state park for the weekend and show off their abilities and products. I've
contacted a few crafts people I've met over time (oak basket makers, wood
carvers, etc.). She asked that I contact a few wood turners as well. I'm a
bit concerned with the safety aspect of what COULD happen and possibly how
to prevent it from happening. Also, if we decide to do some wood turning,
how best to set up the mini lathe so that it won't be walking across the
picnic table when turned on.
Her thought was that each craftsman could show in progression how their
art/craft is created (from raw stock to finished product).

Perhaps my toungue in cheek approach was a bit much but it was so dead on
here lately I thought I'd at least get some responses (and I did), but they
weren't exactly the responses I was looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

JD (Kentucky)

--

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to places of
historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley, and
seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their tents
face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside playing
cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large
enclosed trailer, with a complete shop inside. Besides selling your
turnings to the campers, you could probably get additional revenue by
putting beer ads on the outside surfaces. For the sarcasm impaired: TIC.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jul 1, 9:37 am, (Arch) wrote:

Camping was a change, never an escape.

I see and agree with a whole lot of what you said. Especially the "to
each his own" parts.

But for me, camping IS an escape, and a chance to do something I
really love to do.

My most fun camping trip was about 20 years ago when I went to
Yosemite, and hiked the high loop in the wilderness area. Since so
many people are hurt and killed in that area, they suggest you check
in every other day to make sure you are OK, but that too, is optional.

For about 12 days I carried my pack, tent, food, and equipment about
160 or so miles. I slept in the tent, filtered my drinking water from
the streams, ate dried food, bathed and washed clothes in the fresh
COLD mountain water, and walked through the prettiest terrain I had
ever seen in my life. I was with my BIL, and it was not as good a
trip for him because he got altitude sickness as the trip from the
floor of Yosemite valley to the upper rim of Mt. Vogelsang is quite a
difference in height.

With no business phones, no home phones, no pagers, no TV, or any of
the other trappings of my daily life I had the best time you can
imagine.

Strange what you remember. My natural tendency is to be a night
owl. However, that lifestyle wore me out so badly that I would make
camp, eat, sometimes read for a few minutes (I took Dumas' Three
Musketeers with me) and then go to bed. That meant that I got up at
dawn, as the birds couldn't wait to get going so they were sqawking
and singing away at first light. It was heaven.

I remember too, one of the things that gave me intense pleasure. I
would wake up, and in the dim light I would pour a cup full of water
in my large stainless cup and light my mountain camp stove. By the
time I had boiling water for coffee, the sun was usually just starting
to peek over the gorgeous scenery that seemed to be every place you
looked in Yosemite. I can't tell you what it was like to sit with a
cup of coffee on a 40 degree morning and watch the sun come up over
the mountains and pine trees.

Thanks for stirring that memory, Arch.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I do, that is the reason I reposted with some added info. Sorry for the
short sightedness (I'll ask the eye doctor about that when I'm in to see him
next week).

JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it
to recreation.
- John Locke

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"JD " wrote: (clip) A manager of local state park has
contacted me wanting to do a fall crafts
weekend. Basically, she would like to invite craftsmen to set up camp in
the state park for the weekend and show off their abilities and products.
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, that's altogether different. Never mind.

JD, I reread your original post, and I think you will agree that it gives
a totally different impression. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good posts, JD and all, No criticism here, just trying to help you keep
the old ng going.

Your explanation explains. Seems you were asked to demonstrate turning
at a camp to help out the manager, not asked to go camping. All the club
program chairmen on rcw know her problem and can empathize.

How about making a small bungee lathe, dimension lumber held together
with nuts & bolts that can be taken down & put up easily. More in
keeping with camp, takes few tools, uses small green limbs, is safe and
cheap discounting the cost of aspirin and liniment plus loss of a day's
work to recuperate.

Anyway your thread sort of reminds me of a quote from Henry Adams
(great- grandson of John) ..."No one means all he says and yet very few
say all they mean for words are slippery and thought is viscous." Whew!
Guess I need to get out more and go camping, wth or without my carbatec.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think that, for a number of people who cannot squeeze in enough
turning in their busy home schedules, turning on vacation would indeed
be a relaxing diversion. Certainly, viewing the local scenery is an
attractive reason for a vacation, but a little fun turning can also be
a valuable part of a trip away from home.

As to risk, the natural limitations of a mini-lathe reduces the risk
of a large, unstable piece becoming a missile. Even so, with
reasonable care applied as to size of a blank and the speed of
turning. Compared to the safety issues associated with what the
foolish things some people do with campfires, a mini-lathe seems
pretty tame by comparison. As in any woodworking project (or camping
project, for that matter) common sense and sensitivity to the safety
and needs of others has to be applied. In short, I don't think that
turning in a RV camping environment is inherently unsafe or
discourteous. It depends on how you do it.

As to portability/mounting, clamping a mini-lathe to workmate type of
platform, or mounting it to a piece of plywood that is in turn clamped
to a picnic table would provide enough stability without damaging
anything in the campsite.

For a number of years now, our woodturners' club has had an annual pot-
luck summer picnic at a shelter at a local park. We usually bring 4
or 5 mini-lathes for fun-turning, casual demonstrations and teaching
interested new turners (including kids). Neighboring picnic-ers would
occasionally drop by and visit, "ooh" and "ah" a bit and ask
questions, adding to the fun. We have never had a problem with flying
objects, injury, damage to property or leaving a mess behind. Then
again, nobody has tried to turn any 30-50 pound blanks on any of these
small lathes, either. We are a bit careful about what we turn and
make sure we clean up afterward.

Again, it depends on how you go about it.

Bob in NC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Bob for the info.

I had concidered the possibility of mountin the lathe to a piece of ply that
could then be clamped to the table. That should work quite well and be easy
to set up and take down.

As to the sizes of pieces being turned, I'm sure you understand I was being
sarcastic when I said a 30-50 lb of wood, but I'm not sure it really depends
on the size of the piece. For example, I was just turning a few of Darrell
Feltmate's spatulas for my wife and for the camper when one of them come
apart (partly with the help of a catch of the skew) and sent shards of wood
flying all over the shop. My concern is protecting those who would like to
be watching the turning in progress. I've considered suspending a piece of 9
gauge chain link fence between the demonstrators and the watchers, but
thought small missle like peices could still fly through the holes in the
fence (obviously this is a worst case scenario but thinking this way for 15
years in the parks and recreation field are habits hard to break and ones
I'm not ready to do away with).

I appreciate your feedback on the matter and have jotted down some notes for
reference.
Again, thanks for the help.

JD

--

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to
places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley,
and seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their
tents face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside
playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large
enclosed trailer, with a complete shop inside. Besides selling your
turnings to the campers, you could probably get additional revenue by
putting beer ads on the outside surfaces. For the sarcasm impaired:
TIC.

Considering the cost of fuel and the mpg of most of those rigs, it may
come to beer ads on the side for many of them!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I sorta like the idea of Mac's where you turn just enough to pay for the
trip. I met a fellow at a camp site on Barren River Lake in Kentucky this
past April who carves fish from driftwood he collects. He told me since
retiring 3 years ago he and his wife have basically lived in campgrounds and
his carvings paid for 50% of his campground fees. Now if I could make enough
to pay for the fuel, I'd gladly pay the camping fee.

JD

--

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to
places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley,
and seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their
tents face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside
playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large
enclosed trailer, with a complete shop inside. Besides selling your
turnings to the campers, you could probably get additional revenue by
putting beer ads on the outside surfaces. For the sarcasm impaired:
TIC.

Considering the cost of fuel and the mpg of most of those rigs, it may
come to beer ads on the side for many of them!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:02:12 -0500, "JD" wrote:

I'd still recommend the workmate or equivalent..

I've turned a LOT of stuff on the mini while it was on the workmate with maybe a
clamp or 2 holding it down if needed..

Folds flat for storage and makes a good end table later when you're doing some
star gazing and enjoying a few adult beverages..

NOTE: Assuming that you have power at the park, plug directly into that, not
the outside plugs on an RV.. most are GPF and don't work well with power tools..

Also, if you don't have power, be vary careful running a lathe on a generator..
I burned out the starting capacitor on my Jet mini doing that.. YMWV

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article 6Kyak.88$dz.52@trndny01,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to
places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley,
and seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their
tents face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside
playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large
enclosed trailer, with a complete shop inside. Besides selling your
turnings to the campers, you could probably get additional revenue by
putting beer ads on the outside surfaces. For the sarcasm impaired:
TIC.

Considering the cost of fuel and the mpg of most of those rigs, it may
come to beer ads on the side for many of them!

Laying aside the idea, never do the concept. Why, many states would then
consider the rig a "commercial" rig and require you have a CDL, etc (yes
I know people this has happened to)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to places of
historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley, and
seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched their tents
face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat inside playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large enclosed
trailer, with a complete shop inside.

They are called a "toy hauler" and just about every RV dealer carries a
line of them.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Ralph E
Lindberg writes

Laying aside the idea, never do the concept. Why, many states would then
consider the rig a "commercial" rig and require you have a CDL, etc (yes
I know people this has happened to)

Not being from the States, I still get to see your TV, and often see
RV's with stickers on they stating where the person has visited, I am
surprised they haven't figured a way of taxing you for advertising their
State or should that be licence you ?
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Stop that line of thought, John. One of Florida's legislators may surf
this ng. So far we don't need a license to own a homeshop lathe, but no
woodturner's life, liberty or shop is safe when legislature is in
session.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Arch
writes
Stop that line of thought, John. One of Florida's legislators may surf
this ng. So far we don't need a license to own a homeshop lathe, but no
woodturner's life, liberty or shop is safe when legislature is in
session.

Its as bad in the UK, if they could Tax thought.....
--
John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John wrote:

In message , Arch
writes
Stop that line of thought, John. One of Florida's legislators may
surf this ng. So far we don't need a license to own a homeshop lathe,
but no woodturner's life, liberty or shop is safe when legislature is
in session.

Its as bad in the UK, if they could Tax thought.....

Breathing or taking up space would bring in more money ... )
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip)YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to
places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wholeheartedly agree. I still remember camping in Yosemite Valley,
and seeing the setup at a nearby campsite: two families pitched
their tents face to face, surrounded the space with tarps, and sat
inside playing cards.

Want to do woodturning? Stay home. Or you could construct a large
enclosed trailer, with a complete shop inside.

They are called a "toy hauler" and just about every RV dealer carries
a line of them.

So one could go RVing and still hide in the garage ... ;o)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Laying aside the idea, never do the concept. Why, many states would
then consider the rig a "commercial" rig and require you have a CDL,
etc (yes I know people this has happened to)

Yes it has happened and in fact some states require a CDL based on the size
of the rig, in some cases a horse trailer will require it.

what a pain

ah well, back to turning

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You weren't the only one that thought of turning while camping. The fact of
doing a demo sounds neat since you were invited to.

I generally try and leave my tech stuff at home too including radios, tvs
etc. But then I too am usually out for just a long weekend.

I second the ideas of thinking smaller and using a mini lathe. Sticking to
smaller items would always be safer than something larger. Small bowls pens
or mini lathe type projects. Also I have seen portable shields made from
Lexan that protect against anything that might come off the front of the
lathe. With that and less agressive turning than you might normally turn at
home you would probably be fine with demos. Also keeping your speed down
wouldn't hurt either. You may want to do the demo for club members or
someone you know before you do it at the campsite.

Some of the many mini projects could include pens, tops, bottle stoppers,
mini goblets, etc. I like the tops and mini goblets because you don't have
to buy any extra hardware to turn them. Mini bowls can be fun to.

Thanks for sharing the idea. Always fun to ponder! Someday maybe I'll get
a true carry around lathe like the Bonnie Klein lathe and then I'll bring it
along.

Have fun!

Gone camping BillinDetroit Woodworking 17 August 10th 07 07:54 AM
Gone camping BillinDetroit Woodturning 1 July 30th 07 10:54 AM
My new knife holder (for when I go car camping) Owen Lawrence Woodturning 6 August 2nd 06 03:44 PM
INSPIRATION - Portable Camping Potty J T Woodworking 6 April 14th 06 12:21 PM