Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default My new knife holder (for when I go car camping)

I realized the idea that I had on Friday morning when I posted the questions
about the knife block. As promised, here are a couple of pictures. Sorry
for the absurdly low quality of the pictures. I borrowed my son's digital
camera and clearly I don't know how to operate it.

http://www.manyirons.com/Puker/image...older_open.JPG
http://www.manyirons.com/Puker/image...der_closed.JPG

Scrap ash, knife profile routed out freehand, tang accomodated by chisel,
and rare-earth magnets epoxied in place.
After I took the pictures I decided to go back and cut off the corners and
apply a few coats of varathane. If I can figure out the camera a little
better I'll upgrade the pictures. But I'm pleased enough with the result.
It's extremely rare for me to take a project from conception to finish in a
single weekend. (Heck, anything less than a year is an improvement!)

- Owen -

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Owen, I enjoyed your post and hope you feel welcome, lots of
'flatties' here. I don't remember if you also turn wood. If you do
forgive me, if not get a lathe. You can finish many nice projects in a
morning or you can take a year to turn your masterpiece.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I think Owen's one of those guys that only thinks "one way", isn't he?

Or maybe he has a stubby and won't admit it in public?

Mornin' Mac.

There's two of us Owens in here - as one who's lived with the name for a
number of years now, I can say I run into very few of us. It's weird
addressing someone else as Owen. It's unusual enough that when hearing
my name, folks will think I said Allen, Glen or some other name. I also
get some folks, if they're old enough, saying, "Like Owen Marshal,
Counselor at Law?" Or the jokers who spontaneously burst into the
mother's raspy "Owen!" "Owen!" from Throw Mama from the Train. To make
matters worse, Owen Lawrence just happens to have the same first/last
initials as I do. (BTW, my middle name is Fredric...)

This Owen, does indeed, swing on a Oneway, since November of last year.
Not sure what Owen uses though - I don't recall reading about it.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[...]

Owen the OP here. As a matter of fact, I do own a lathe, and it swings a
OneWay chuck.
I'm pleasantly amused that I got a bigger response here than at
rec.woodworking. One guy over there told me he turned a knife block, a six
inch cylinder, slicing longitudinal slots for the knives, and closing them
in again with glued in sticks. He returned it to the lathe to finish it,
and I'm considering doing the same. Of course I'm considering lots of
things, but it never hurts to stay on topic.

I usually get "Owen! How's it goin'?"

After hearing it for over 35 years, it's still tiring.

- Owen -

(P.S. My middle name is "Eldon". I once took swimming lessons with a
friend whose name is Lawrence Owen Kelly. He dropped the "Kelly" for that
class and we had a blast watching the instructor try to keep us straight.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi op Owen, I like your knife holder the way you made it. Make another
with the sticks closing the slots & turned. A pic?

Hey our Owen, You think you get tiresome variations on your good name.
Cheer up, it's not 'Archie'. There's no 'bald' attached and I'm no
bigot, but it lingers on. I'm a junior, but Lorraine made sure our
David wasn't a III.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter