Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turning while Camping

Thanks JD for raising an interesting question and to Robert and Mac for
their usual cogent responses. I imagine most of us have mused about the
ways & whys we enjoy camping. I mean weekends of just a few days in a
tent or camper, not living in a semi-mobile domicile or a rented cabin
for the season. Nothing wrong with that.

My 'whys' have always been for a change, a respite away from home and
its usuals. My "ways' meant no lathes, tv's, computers, ham rigs, cell
phones, air conditioners, electrical appliances, newspapers, even
books. These are part of my life at home and each is a pleasure. I
camped for a change to a simpler way and took as little impedimenta as
possible. camping was not only for pleasure in itself, but also to
enhance the pleasures of home. Camping was a change, never an escape.

Of course, the 'whys' & ways' of each of us will vary widely, but I
camped to enjoy nature, not to turn wood or do what I was doing at home
in a different location. No matter how nice the surroundings, I didn't
want to read the NY times with eggs benedict & a latte for breakfast,
watch the world series with a beer in the afternoon and enjoy beef
bourguignon, baked alaska and a demi-tasse for dinner. I'd rather canoe,
watch the sun set and roast hot dogs for supper and later at nite wonder
about the man in the moon if someone had stolen my tent.

YMMV, but to me it's sad that people go to places of historical interest
or exotic geography and spend their entire stay in a Holiday Inn. OTOH,
for many of us (esp. wives) fine restaurants, tours, theaters, maid
service and being generally pampered is a huge change. Camping in a
great city ain't bad ..... if you can afford it!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter