Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning while Camping

On Jun 30, 4:15 pm, "JD" wrote:

What an odd post.

I've realized a couple of situations that need remedied prior to slinging
saw dust in the national parks. 1st is it allowed?

I don't think they care about a little sawdust. But if you are
seriously turning a 30 - 50 pound blank, you will make trashcan bags
full of it. Will you be cleaning up after yourself?

Since this could be a
hazardous situation what with a 30-50 lb. piece of wood turning at 1000-2000
rpm and the potential for this thing to go flying off and through the
nearest neighbors tent, do campgrounds prefer that we not participate in
this type hobby while visiting?

Well, let's see. Say JD has his family enjoying a nice evening in the
tent after a good day out at the park. JD Jr. is snoozing happily
away and a 50 pound hunk slams into the fabric of the tent and smashes
his head like a ripe melon.

Hmmm...... I wonder what JD would think. Should Wally Woodturner have
been allowed to put life and limb of another's family at risk with no
consideration for other park guests? Certainly something to ponder on
the way to the hospital.

Another question would be where to set up the lathe? I mean where
physically. Can I drill some extra holes into the wooden picnic table that
has "Johnny loves Sally" carved into it.

Here in Texas, we are a bit backwards. We try to catch folks that
deface PUBLIC property, property paid for by tax payers. It is
illegal, and they will prosecute and fine you like you wouldn't
believe if they catch you.

And the logic of a seven year old is no defense. "Someone else did it
first!" is no excuse. Let me help you. For example, you cannot use
the heritage oak in a park for an engine hoist, even if someone years
ago put a rope swing on it. And because there was a small scorched
spot where an evening fire got out of hand, it doesn't mean you can
haul your trash in and burn it on that spot as well. No piling on.

Or, should I build some sort of portable contraption that doesn't
take up a lot of precious camper space that can be folded and unfolded
numerous times at numerous camping destinations?

What kind of folding device could you build that would let you safely
spin "a 30-50 lb. piece of wood turning at 1000-2000 rpm" ? It takes a
pretty good chunk of metal lathe to spin a 50 piece at 1000 rpms, and
that's the bottom of your example.

Transporting my own wood to the site for turning?
That becomes a problem in some states that prohibits you from bringing wood
in from out of state to prevent the spread of insects.

Most parks do not allow wood in or out for that very reason. Many do
no allow fires at all since many areas have had such terrible
droughts. You could be up against it with the wood problem. You
should call the parks before you go.

How about turning your neighbors firewood into a keepsake? With their
permission of course and for a small commission for doing so.

Now you are talking about setting up a business on the park land. Not
allowed here or in California. Having camped in both place quite a
bit, they will no allow you to set up a "for profit" enterprise. To
do that you must petition the proper governing agencies, provide proof
of insurance, and still get approval. There are no approvals here
(and none I saw in CA) as they rely on the income from their own gift
shops as part of the budget considerations and since they are
constantly in shortfall, the guard their territory well.

Good luck with all of this.

I think if you went to a park with a little mini lathe and screwed
around turning small stuff, you would probably be just fine. There
are others here that have done that, and even a couple I have been in
contact with that used to turn simple Christmas ornaments in the Fall
and trade them for beers. Never a problem.

But if you start spinning up 50 chunks of wood and put others at any
kind of risk at all, they will not permit it. If you start cutting,
sawing or drilling into the picnic tables (at least around here) you
will be arrested. Unless you had your own generator, the probably
won't let you use electricity for anything more than a light. Then if
you are found out to be selling "commissions" in the park, they will
most likely ask you to stop, and maybe write you a citation for
illegal peddling.

But to do those things in a private park may be OK. They have their
own rules, and you should check with them before starting anything up.

Like I said, good luck.

Robert