Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default The path before me

Before I started with my addiction [read:turning] I spent several
months reading this newsgroup. I went out in October 2001 and bought a
Jet 1236 at the grand opening of a Woodcraft store in the north part
of Indianapolis - a 3 hour round trip from home I might add. Within a
month I had also purchased a dust collector, grinder for sharpening,
and a band saw. (Oh, I rechecked and it is a 12" bandsaw, not a 14"
for those who answered my query back a couple weeks ago about band saw
blades). This is not mention the chucks and other toys that make my
time in the basement more pleasurable. Bowls flowed from my tiny
shop and are now in Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, and three
towns in China all holding snacks, change, car keys, oatmeal and lord
knows what all.
In late January I posted a request for penmaking kits and was amply
rewarded with several helpful replies. I ordered from both Packards
and the Woodturners Catalog and have been mightily pleased with the
products. Since receiving the shipments, I now have about 20 or so
pens with each a bit better than the one before. Such is betterment
through experience. I also see that a small drill press will be
needed. I've been looking at some Jet and a few items at Enco and all
seem to be adequate to the task as well as leaving a bit of room for
expansion.

Now, I have another question to pose. Where the heck is this hobby
going to lead next? I've a sneaking suspicion that the path I have
followed thus far has been trod by many here. Perhaps not bowls to
pens; maybe pens to bowls. Is there a third stop on this journey?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Now, I have another question to pose. Where the heck is this hobby
going to lead next? I've a sneaking suspicion that the path I have
followed thus far has been trod by many here. Perhaps not bowls to
pens; maybe pens to bowls. Is there a third stop on this journey?

I've seen wooden hats, wooden bats, baby rattles, and things with
rings. I ask where will it end?

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I like the thought of turning something with tools I make myself. O, by the
way, you need a chainsaw. Gas for outside and electric for in. I like the
Stihl brand.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"JD" wrote in message
Now, I have another question to pose. Where the heck is this hobby
going to lead next? I've a sneaking suspicion that the path I have
followed thus far has been trod by many here. Perhaps not bowls to
pens; maybe pens to bowls. Is there a third stop on this journey?

I've seen wooden hats, wooden bats, baby rattles, and things with
rings. I ask where will it end?

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Kevin, I believe that at some point in your woodturning experience
it's best from the standpoint of material success and becoming "known"
to take the "path not taken" by the majority. If this isn't what you
strive for then follow the crowd and enjoy the trip.

The pathways aren't totally and mutually exclusive, but I've watched the
paths of several very accomplished woodturners who are now either
forgotten or well known, and at some point they all had to choose their
own exclusive path or follow the crowd.

It might seem an oxymoron, but if you do want to succeed in making
turning wood more than an enjoyable personal hobby then don't turn
things that are currently popular. Lead or "follow me" is as true for
woodturners as for the infantry.

Just one old turner's response and subject to argument, but regardless
I'm glad you are having fun as your turning gets better and better. Mine
is beginning to slide down the other side of the bell curve, but I'm
still having fun.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

My path...

Six years ago I saw some wood turnings at an art museum. Bowls
mostly. I wanted to know how to do that so I:
Researched lathes
Researched how to make a bowl on a lathe
Bought a Nova DVR wood lathe
Found out I needed tools
Bought some turning tool
Bought a Ellsworth bowl gouge
Started making simple bowls
Bought a grinder
Bought the Wolverine grinding jig setup
Bought a bandsaw
Bought a riser block for above bandsaw
Bought a Nova chuck with some jaws
Took a class at a Woodcraft store
Bought an angle drill to sand bowls
Bought the outboard turning attachment
Made lots of bowls
Bought another chuck and some more jaws
Started giving bowls away to friends until I saturated that market
Made lots more "better" bowls
Started to sell a few bowls
Took a class with David Ellsworth
Bought some DVD's of other turners
Bought an inertia sander to sand bowls
Had to find places to store the bowls that I made
Accumulated a huge pile of chips and scraps in my backyard from all
the turning
Had to find people to take the scraps and found uses for the chips
Sold a few more bowls
Bought some hollowing tools
Started turning a few things other than bowls (hollow vessels mostly)
By that time I was turning so many bowls that my garages was over run
with the mess
Sold a cherry hollow vessel to our state rep to be given as a gift at
the annual governors conference (a real pick me up for myself)
Had offers from three art galleries that wanted to display and sell my
work
SOOO...
I built a pole barn
Made part of it into a workshop (this process occupied the past 2 and
a half years)
Sold my old lathe
Bought a new Oneway 2436
By now I am on my 5th bowl gouge (too much grinding)
Bought a dust collector
Bought a large air compressor
Bought a random orbital air sander to sand bowls
Bought a laser guided hollowing set up
I have now decided to try my hand at segmented work
Bought a combo disk/belt sander

During the past 6 years I have seen so many marvelous things made by
some very talented people, both in person and online, that I now
realize there is no end to what you can learn. I have barely done any
spindle turning. I have not done much with coloring or carving. The
journey has only just begun. I have miles to go before I sleep.

My name is Ted and I am a turning addict...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

you still have a few short stops such as redoing some of your own tool
handles,
but I would say the next stop is art, or more modestly - self
expression
after reaching a higher technical level, you can use fancier woods,
experiment with various tools, try longer and longer finials, thinner
vessels,
or simply enjoy form, practically ignoring purpose.
Check this, or many other sites, for examples:
http://www.woodturningdesign.com/showcase/index.shtml
way behind you,
Max
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It's all a lot of fun, no matter where you are on the path of turning.
It seems anymore with the mix of materials, decorating techniques, and
specialty tools there is no end. I tend to turn wood like the blazes
and then go to something else, then come back.

I just bought an Akeda dovetail jig and I am sure I will be
dovetailing an box jointing my days away for a while. But, there too,
I will be back on the lathe for a project I have in mind. I am
thinking of a blanket chest or small jewelry boxes with turned "bun"
feet. I also would like to try building a Federal style piece that
had the 1/2 column pilasters on the sides. That would come off the
lathe as well.

But as far as what you can do with the lathe, there doesn't seem to be
any limit anymore. And as far as how much it cost to keep up with the
Joneses for the newest woodturning trend, there doesn't seem to be
much limit that either.

Hey... at least at the lathe we are doing something constructive with
out time, right?

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:27:03 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

You got that right!
When we moved to Baja, I decided to pretty much give up TV.. especially
football..
Suddenly, I have 20 or more hours a week to spend in the shop...

I'm on such a twisted path.. and I love it..
I got back into wood because my wife decided in 03 to go to law school..
She was going to have NO life, so I figured that getting back into flat work
would/wood keep me off the streets..
I blew the dust off the tools, bought a few more and started teaching myself to
build drawers to hide stuff in the shop...
Somehow, after a few months, I stumbled on Darrell Feltmates turning page and
read the section on turning firewood... damn!
I used to turn, but bought kiln dried wood... and didn't have much of a budget
for that...
One day I grabbed a chunk of firewood out of the back of the truck and threw it
on the Shopsmith and made a lidded box.. something I hadn't done in maybe 20
years.. When my wife saw it, she said something like "I didn't know that you
knew how to do that", and brought home a 1.4 cord of plum firewood and said
"make some Christmas presents"..

Well, things got weird after that... she liked the turned stuff and bought me
more wood and a Jet mini... WOW! a real lathe..
Then, of course, I needed a chuck, better chisels, etc., etc...

Meanwhile, the flatwork got side tracked, because since every flat surface in
the garage/shop had logs, bowls, stuff drying, etc. on it, I couldn't find the
TS or work bench surface any more..

6 years and 2 more lathes later, I'm in Mexico, a professional turner... and she
gave up law school after 1 year and retired from her day job so we could move
here...
Ya just never know where life is gonna lead you... and it's a blast getting
there..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Joe is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:23:46 -0800, Kevin wrote:
Is there a third stop on this journey?

Translucent, segmented, open form, eccentric, kinetics
Components for wood sculptural art - combine carving, marquetry, etc.
Inlay - ceramics, metal, stone, seashells, glass, other woods, etc.
High tech - laser engraving, laser cutting, waterjet, NC saws, CNC milling
Burns and Dyes - wood burning, acid burning, UV, dye, sandblast, paint
"Exotic" materials - metals, bones, palm fronds and other plants, seeds,
stone, glass, ceramics, cardboard, etc.

Create Tools - handtools, sharpening systems, software, lathes, saws,
chucks, calipers, drying racks
Create Kits - pens, goblets, yo-yos, tops, ornaments, knives, toys,
puzzles
Create Training - videos, magazine articles, books, classes

A few woodturning links for inspiration;

http://www.woodthatworks.com/
http://conjureworks.com/works.html
http://www.woodturningart.com/
http://www.healing-arts.org/edric/gallery2.htm
http://www.turnwood.net/pictures/new...tthorburn1.jpg
http://www.healing-arts.org/edric/gallery.htm
http://artisticwoodturning.com/Galle...ail.pl?07-081a
http://stephenmarkpaulsen.com/objects/index.html?im=2
http://www.3dwoodturning.com/
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/air.htm?id=Brenda%20Behrens
http://www.e-z.net/~summitweb/
http://www.galeriaclemente.com/gallery4.htm
http://zvwoodturners.org/gallery/Roc..._4671_edited_1
http://www.jpaulfennell.com/RecentWork.html
http://www.stephenhatcher.com/index.php?n=5a4
http://www.elegance-in-wood.com/forsale.html
http://www.lynneyamaguchi.com/titled.html
http://mgorrow.tripod.com/index-2.html
http://www.artliestman.com/gallerypage0.html
http://www.loveart.co.nz/gallery/graeme_woodwork.htm
http://www.cheamturners.co.uk/gal.asp
http://www.stubbylathe.com/vessels.htm
http://marklindquist.com/mark-project1.htm
http://www.villagegallery.ca/whatsne...ml#turningwood
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/linkha.htm
http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/ga...ry-archive.cfm
http://www.woodchuckers.com/WORKS.HTM
http://www.woodturningcenter.org/200...it4/index.html
http://www.woodturningcenter.org/ITE/2005/gallery.html
http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterlo...mg/img0022.jpg
http://www.turnwood.net/pictures/new...rucewhite3.jpg
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/air_photo.htm?id=43
http://www.lindquiststudios.com/imag...IAVE-1-lrg.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/scartoo/scars_woodturning_gallery
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Now, I have another question to pose. Where the heck is this hobby
going to lead next? I've a sneaking suspicion that the path I have
followed thus far has been trod by many here. Perhaps not bowls to
pens; maybe pens to bowls. Is there a third stop on this journey?

Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the trip and be sure and stop once in
a while to smell the (insert favorite wood here) chips.

Wayne

P.S. I just hope your favorite wood doesn't stink like the dickens. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Forget "path" and think "slippery slope".
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:23:46 -0800 (PST), Kevin
wrote:

Now, I have another question to pose. Where the heck is this hobby
going to lead next? I've a sneaking suspicion that the path I have
followed thus far has been trod by many here. Perhaps not bowls to
pens; maybe pens to bowls. Is there a third stop on this journey?

You buy a metalworking lathe & mill and start all over

DAMHIKT

Alan

who will be collecting a new tool holder and
super-duper carbide bits + extra parting tool blades tomorrow (Friday)
so I can make some better parts for my tractor.

Woodturning part - I need and am making a dozen file handles, full
size and another dozen for warding files for model making.

Best option for new path/drive? Richard UK diy 10 January 24th 08 05:09 PM
concrete path croxley UK diy 1 September 4th 07 03:07 PM
OT-Path to security azotic Metalworking 0 August 12th 07 10:45 AM
Making a path... Rich UK diy 2 April 15th 07 10:36 PM
SDS for hole on concrete path Chris Cowley UK diy 0 April 9th 06 02:41 AM