Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default The path before me

Hi Kevin, I believe that at some point in your woodturning experience
it's best from the standpoint of material success and becoming "known"
to take the "path not taken" by the majority. If this isn't what you
strive for then follow the crowd and enjoy the trip.

The pathways aren't totally and mutually exclusive, but I've watched the
paths of several very accomplished woodturners who are now either
forgotten or well known, and at some point they all had to choose their
own exclusive path or follow the crowd.

It might seem an oxymoron, but if you do want to succeed in making
turning wood more than an enjoyable personal hobby then don't turn
things that are currently popular. Lead or "follow me" is as true for
woodturners as for the infantry.

Just one old turner's response and subject to argument, but regardless
I'm glad you are having fun as your turning gets better and better. Mine
is beginning to slide down the other side of the bell curve, but I'm
still having fun.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter