Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a path...

I'm looking to lay a path across my garden using a paving mould - the sort
where you pour in concrete then lift the mould off when partly set. Should
I put anything under the casting to act as a sort of foundation or do you
reckon the concrete would be Ok cast straight onto mud?

--
Rich

http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rich wrote:
I'm looking to lay a path across my garden using a paving mould - the
sort where you pour in concrete then lift the mould off when partly
set. Should I put anything under the casting to act as a sort of
foundation or do you reckon the concrete would be Ok cast straight
onto mud?

I've been laying paths and drives for many years and I'm afraid I have no
idea what you are referring to.

Do you mean the patterned mats used by imprinted concrete tradesmen?

FWIW, you can lay concrete on anything provided it is solid, dry mud yes,
wet mud no.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rich wrote:
I'm looking to lay a path across my garden using a paving mould - the
sort where you pour in concrete then lift the mould off when partly
set. Should I put anything under the casting to act as a sort of
foundation or do you reckon the concrete would be Ok cast straight
onto mud?

As long as it's a couple of inches thick, it should manage light foot
traffic on mud. Much better to tamp a few inches of rubble underneath
though, it greatly increases the strength & durability.