dean

Default Using round-up on path next to lawn?

I want to spray roundup on the plants creeping up through the cracks in
a brick walkway, but its next to my lawn. Has anyone done this and
messed up their grass edge? Does it leach out and kill the grass too?

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

Harry K

dean wrote:
I want to spray roundup on the plants creeping up through the cracks

in
a brick walkway, but its next to my lawn. Has anyone done this and
messed up their grass edge? Does it leach out and kill the grass too?

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

It is perfectly safe used for that. It does not leach. In fact it
goes inert almost as soon as it touches the ground. It also has no
residual effect - only kills what is green and growing when sprayed.

Harry K

Dennis Turner

On 5/6/2005 8:36 AM or thereabouts, dean appears, somewhat unbelievably,
to have opined:

I want to spray roundup on the plants creeping up through the cracks in
a brick walkway, but its next to my lawn. Has anyone done this and
messed up their grass edge? Does it leach out and kill the grass too?

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

Spray when the wind is calm. Around here that's rather problematic as
the wind blows more or less constantly. Roundup is absorbed through the
leaves. As long as you don't get any overspray on your grass it will not
be harmed. Even if you do get a little overspray on the grass it will
probably survive (of course this depends on the type of grass). I live
in western Texas where most lawns are bermuda. If you want to kill a
bermuda lawn it takes several applications of Roundup to do a reasonable
job.

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.
Nick C Topolos

dean wrote:
I want to spray roundup on the plants creeping up through the cracks in
a brick walkway, but its next to my lawn. Has anyone done this and
messed up their grass edge? Does it leach out and kill the grass too?

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

I have started the habit of using left over boiling tea pot water to
pour over the weeds in my paver walk. It seems to work very well.
Milwaukee Tom

To keep my brick patio and walkways clear of sprouting plants, here's
what I've done with good success for the past three growing seasons.

Get a pre-emergent herbicide product called "Preen", or a similar one
from Miracle Grow. Sprinkle it on the brick and work it into the cracks
with a broom. You don't need a lot, Lightly water the brick.

Voila! you will have no unwanted sprouts for the remainder of the
growing season. It has really been worth it to me, since I have nearby
bird feeders which afford a good supply of seeds to sprout in the
cracks.

This won't work on grass which spreads via its roots. For that, I would
just pull out the interlopers. Roundup could also be used with the
previously mentioned cautions.

Good luck!
Tom

dean

Thanks everyone, its great to have some idea before doing this!

Cheers,

Dean