james

Default garden path of least resistance...

hi

hoping you can advise about what to do about the paving in my front
garden...

currently made of old ugly concrete 3x2's, mostly whole slabs

The direct line-of-sight from the gate to the front door is at an
angle, but from the gate end, the slabs are in a single straight line
(so the path is 3 ft wide), then across to make an L shape; the inside
of the L has been filled with a few slabs cut at an angle, leading to
where the path meets a small patio in front of the doorstep

quick sketch:
(ww=wall, g=gate, f=front doorstep, x's show shape but not
corresponding to slabs, .c = cut slabs)

wwwwwgggwwwww
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
cxxx
.cxxx
ccxxx
.ccxxx
cccxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
fff

i'd like to reduce the area of the path something like this:

wwwwwgggwwwww
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
///
cxxx
.cxxx
ccxc.
.ccxc
cccc.
.cxxxxc
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
fff

So – aiming for the ‘path of least resistance' in terms of work
involved to make any changes, while still minimising unsatisfactory
results - the question is:

Should I leave everything where it is but just cut off bits that I
don't want (the corner of the L) using some suitable cutting tool?
(ie more cutting but no re-laying)

Or should I cut the edge of the slab at /// to make an angle and then
lift and relay the path from there onwards with a straigth line of
whole slabs (now lying at a slight angle to the slabs of those leading
from the gate) until it meets the patio (where of course another piece
cut wedge-shaped will be necessary to make the join)…? (ie only a
couple of cuts, but several slabs re-laid at new angle)

thanks,
james
james

Default garden path problem

still hoping there is someone here who can advise... (which is more
work - cutting existing laid concrete slabs, or relaying them...?)