John Wakefield

Default Smashing up a concrete garden path

What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

ksm

Depends if you want to spend money.
Your local Hire Company will do you a Kango Hammer (like a small road drill
but electric).

No cost option is a sledgehammer. Easiest way is to crack the concrete, then
lift a corner with a road spike (strong long bit of metal) & get a friend to
hit it with the hammer. It breaks up much easier this way.

"John Wakefield" wrote in message
What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

PoP

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:23:44 -0000, "John Wakefield"
wrote:

What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

This subject was broached on this forum several months ago - might be
worth a search on google.

I think you've got a couple of options to consider.

First, the sledgehammer trick is okay if the path isn't terribly
substantial and you are fit.

A power tool would be better if you didn't want the hard graft. You
should be able to hire one at a local HSS shop for a day or two to get
the job done.

Another option might be to split the path into more managable sections
(if it is in one continuous lump). Could potentially be done by
digging a small hole under the concrete and stuffing with wood, then
setting light. Concrete doesn't take too kindly to localised heat
(besides which, this was a method used in the old days for attacking a
castle).

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Martin

"John Wakefield" wrote in message
What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

From experience, the easiest way is to put pressure underneath with pickaxe,
then give it some welly with a sledgehammer to break paving slab sized lumps
off. It really depends on what you have available, and how thick the
concrete is. Thinner concrete is easy, just leaver and wack, thicker stuff
may require something like an SDS to weaken it; very thick stuff may require
a small thermonuclear device, but remember to use ear defenders first.

Harry Bloomfield

John Wakefield wrote on Sunday (25/01/2004) :
What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

It depends how substantial the concrete is. It becomes easier once get
a working edge. A substantial steel bar to lift an edge up and then a
good wallop with a sledge will quickly break it up for you.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

wrote:

What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

Sledgehammer - not a big one though as you'll be knackered in minutes,
a smaller one I found easier on the arms.
Then wait until a suitable ****ty day at work, come home get changed
and hammer away.
It is easier to get someone to lever it up while you hit it etc. but
it will still break up albeit with more effort from just sheer brute
ignorance. ;-)

Mark S.

The Natural Philosopher

John Wakefield wrote:

What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

Sledge and pick. Unless its really thick. If IMM like in its density,
kanga or concrete saw, or even mini digger.

PoP

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:39:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Sledge and pick. Unless its really thick. If IMM like in its density,
kanga or concrete saw, or even mini digger.

I thought IMM density meant a quick phone call to a US airbase to say
you know where Bin Laden is - with a bit of luck there'll be a B52
going overhead dropping a bunker buster.....

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Combine Harvesters are EVil

Harry Bloomfield retched Smashing up a concrete garden path onto my
recliner:

John Wakefield wrote on Sunday (25/01/2004) :
What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

It depends how substantial the concrete is. It becomes easier once get
a working edge. A substantial steel bar to lift an edge up and then a
good wallop with a sledge will quickly break it up for you.

I think it'll break the sledge actually. Try a sledgehammer instead.

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

Rick Dipper

Bobcat ?

I just found some guy on eBay selling one, whist lieing about its age ..........
I was *REALLY* tempted, I am after a bobcat ........

Rick

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:35:54 -0000, "ksm" wrote:
Depends if you want to spend money.
Your local Hire Company will do you a Kango Hammer (like a small road drill
but electric).

No cost option is a sledgehammer. Easiest way is to crack the concrete, then
lift a corner with a road spike (strong long bit of metal) & get a friend to
hit it with the hammer. It breaks up much easier this way.

"John Wakefield" wrote in message
What's the best thing to use for this? Sledgehammer or some sort of power
tool?

existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:47 PM
break up base for garden shed? john west++++ UK diy 1 October 8th 03 11:31 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM