Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:37:57 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

PS, don't use the index lock on your DVR-XP to lock the head to remove a
chuck

Yeah, Ralph.. I don't, but the manual seemed confusing until I realized that
it
said it's ok to use the spindle lock to thread stuff ON the spindle, but not
take it off..

I'm sort of leery of spindle locks since I broke a fin off mine on the Jet...

On the XP, it seems to work well to put the drift bar through the handwheel..
if
I need more leverage, I let the rod go down to the headstock alignment pin..

The problem with the vacuum adapter, is it blocks the hole for the
bar!!!

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:56:32 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

On the XP, it seems to work well to put the drift bar through the handwheel..
if
I need more leverage, I let the rod go down to the headstock alignment pin..

The problem with the vacuum adapter, is it blocks the hole for the
bar!!!

You mean for putting it through the cross holes in the handwheel, Ralph?
Yeah, it blocks it for using both holes but you can still grab one hole..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Vicmark gets my vote every time.I've got others, the vicmark leaves them for
dead.A good chuck lasts a long time. You soon regret a cheap copy.
cleshe
xx
"John" wrote in message
In message , brian white
writes
As a relative noob to woodturning ( I acquired my first lathe 3 Months

ago )
I feel that I am now restricted in my creations for the lack of a chuck.

have made all kinds of Jam chucks, fixing to the headstock with turned

morse
Tapers. but its hard going !. Looking through the Polewood Cataloge There

is
a choice of the Patriot, SuperNova2, Fox FX4000, and others. Yes of

course
I would probably like the most expensive, ( Patriot @£126 ) or the
SuperNova @ £114.00 , are these chucks that much better than the Fox

FX4000
@ 68.83 ( including delivery ! ). for which, for the same amount of cash

as
a Patriot I could also get a couple of sets of Jaws

What would you "seasoned" ! woodturners recommend ? Price of course is
always an issue.

I'm not seasoned, only been playing a little longer than yourself

I would also recommend looking at the Axminster chucks.
Specifically this package
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...uck-Package-36
3274.htm

I would have got it instead of their K10 if I had known more at the time

One thing to consider is that it takes time to change jaws, unscrewing,
alignment etc. So you may want to consider the price of jaw carriers in
the overall equation, as its wind them out and wind in the new ones with
the alternate jaws pre fitted and aligned. ( that's what I did)

In some ways I am lucky 4 miles that way and I have Axminster, 4 miles
the other I have Poolewood

Two very bad reasons to spend money !
--
John

Market for old chucks Max63 Woodturning 7 June 27th 07 10:52 PM
A question about chucks Don Sforza Woodturning 25 January 11th 06 11:30 AM
Chucks or alternatives John DeBoo Woodturning 40 November 3rd 05 03:17 PM
Chucks Maxprop Woodturning 13 January 29th 04 03:21 PM
Chucks moggy Woodturning 8 November 26th 03 11:50 AM