moggy

Default Chucks

OK, probably asked many times before

I want to turn bowls, and my current bowl attachment is a bit of a hassle.
What do you look for in a chuck? what is good and what is bad, and how much
do you have to pay for a beginner chuck?

Kat

UK

---

F Donald Hart

Hi Moggy,
I started with two Vic Marks, and I like them and use them most of the
time. I also have a Nova, and two One-Way's, and I lilke them also. I
don't remember what they cost now, but you can find them in Crafts Supply,
or Packards I imagine.
Don Hart

"moggy" wrote in message
OK, probably asked many times before

I want to turn bowls, and my current bowl attachment is a bit of a hassle.
What do you look for in a chuck? what is good and what is bad, and how

much
do you have to pay for a beginner chuck?

Kat

UK

---

Geoff Beale

Hi Kat,
Since you're in the UK, request a catalogue from
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ or look at the choices on their site. They
have lots to choose from.
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.

"moggy" wrote in
message ...
OK, probably asked many times before

I want to turn bowls, and my current bowl attachment is a bit of a

hassle.
What do you look for in a chuck? what is good and what is bad, and how

much
do you have to pay for a beginner chuck?

Kat

UK

---

moggy

"Geoff Beale" wrote in message
Hi Kat,
Since you're in the UK, request a catalogue from
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ or look at the choices on their site. They
have lots to choose from.
--

thanks have ordered one, though other than cost, I still don't know what the
difference between them is.

---

Jim Gott

thanks have ordered one, though other than cost, I still don't know what the
difference between them is.
BRBR

Moggy,
The Vicmarc and Axminster chucks are the real heavy duty chucks, and if you
look at all the different manufacturers' standard jaw designs you'll see that
these two have the beefiest jaws. The dovetail jaws have a wide front surface
in contrast to the Nova or Oneway chuck jaws. This front face is important
because when you're turning a bowl you need to have that wide flat surface
against the shoulder of the tenon you cut to hold in the chuck. This gives the
tenon stablility against side forces that would otherwise cause vibration
and/or dislodge the tenon in the chuck. The larger front surface on the jaws
for this purpose the better, and the Vicmarcs and Axminsters are the widest.
Consider also the key mechanism of these two chucks. While others use either a
drill chuck key or tommy bars, the key operated Vicmarc and Axminsters use a
hex or square drive key which is very positive and never, ever slip. Plus, if
lost they are much less expensive to replace than a drill chuck key.
The Axminsters cost more than the Vicmarcs partially because they have much
more mass. Whatever chuck you decide on, I would definitely go with a
key-operated chuck rather than a tommy-bar model unless you have a locking
spindle. Trying to negotiate two tommy bars and hold the bowl in position at
the same time requires three hands without a spindle lock.
I have seen many professional demo's, and the Vicmarcs and Axminsters keep
showing up, but I can't recall the last time I saw a Oneway or Nova chuck at a
demo.

-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

moggy

thanks for that

---

John Yale

Also note that Axminster have several chucks which can take the same jaws.

The Super precision is the big one which many UK professionals use (I have
this chuck but it doesn't make me a professional!)
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=FJ4AT01

The Woodturners chuck is smaller but takes the same jaws
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=APTCCCT03

John UK

"moggy" wrote in message
thanks for that

---

moggy

"John Yale" wrote in message
Also note that Axminster have several chucks which can take the same jaws.

now really showing my ignorance here, what do you mean by they can take the
same jaws?

---

John Yale

For Axminster chucks (an others may be the same) there are four components
to consider:

1. The chuck body - the heavy bit.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=FJ4BT01
2. The backplate or insert. This part matches the screw thread on your
headstock spindle. If you buy a new lathe you just change this part.
3. Accessory mouting jaws http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=MTGJAW
You must have at least one set of these, but for quicker changeover you
might want one set for each set of jaws you have.
4. Jaws. http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=208 These mount onto 3.
above with two screws. I use the gripper jaws a lot
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=DOVEH

The chuck above comes with items 1, 2 and 3 as standard, you buy what jaws
you want.

Hope this helps

John (UK)