John Yale

Default Chucks

For Axminster chucks (an others may be the same) there are four components
to consider:

1. The chuck body - the heavy bit.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=FJ4BT01
2. The backplate or insert. This part matches the screw thread on your
headstock spindle. If you buy a new lathe you just change this part.
3. Accessory mouting jaws http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=MTGJAW
You must have at least one set of these, but for quicker changeover you
might want one set for each set of jaws you have.
4. Jaws. http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=208 These mount onto 3.
above with two screws. I use the gripper jaws a lot
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=DOVEH

The chuck above comes with items 1, 2 and 3 as standard, you buy what jaws
you want.

Hope this helps

John (UK)

"moggy" wrote in message

"John Yale" wrote in message
Also note that Axminster have several chucks which can take the same

jaws.

now really showing my ignorance here, what do you mean by they can take

the
same jaws?

---