Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Beginner's Note

Scraping really tears up wood.

S.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

Your scraper is dull.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

It can. Wants a careful hand, that's for sure. Much better to cut cross
the grain than up against as some do. They call that "shear scraping,"
though it's really cutting without benefit of bevel. Strange thing, with
the proper tool angle you can do the shear and have your bevel too.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=Inside.flv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
says...

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

It can. Wants a careful hand, that's for sure. Much better to cut cross
the grain than up against as some do. They call that "shear scraping,"
though it's really cutting without benefit of bevel. Strange thing, with
the proper tool angle you can do the shear and have your bevel too.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=Inside.flv

Thanks, I will try that. I cut a little 1/8 notch in
my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,
and try again.

I made the other notches using my chisel.

S.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rob Rob is offline

"samson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

It can. Wants a careful hand, that's for sure. Much better to cut cross
the grain than up against as some do. They call that "shear scraping,"
though it's really cutting without benefit of bevel. Strange thing, with
the proper tool angle you can do the shear and have your bevel too.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=Inside.flv

Thanks, I will try that. I cut a little 1/8 notch in
my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,
and try again.

I made the other notches using my chisel.

S.

IMO, pine is WAY too soft to get a good surface by scraping.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
samson wrote:

my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,

Pine is a terrible wood to scrape, and in general a poor wood to turn
(partly because of that, partly for other reasons).

Best advice I can give you as a beginner - order a pile of hardwood
firewood, or go find the local tree surgeons who are looking to dump
wood and get some free. Low-cost or free hardwood, no fuss when
something screws up.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:08:33 -0500, samson wrote:

Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

Ok.. since your post said beginner:

Any tool tears up wood if not sharp, at the proper angle, over hanging the tool
rest, etc..

Most folks experimenting with scrapers contact the wood at the same angle they
would with a gouge, and get terrible results..

A sharp scraper uses the burr produced by sharpening to cut the wood... It's
usually brought in contact with the wood at a 90 degree angle or sometimes
actually pointed down a bit... Very scary at first because you do a lot of
things that everyone has told you to NEVER do with gouges..

Also, since you're using just the burr on the edge of the tool (and very light
pressure) it doesn't last long and needs to be sharpened often..

There are many ways to sharpen or burnish a scraper but works very well for me
is to use a belt sander with the table a few degrees of 90 degrees..
Most scrapers come with a very slight bevel/angle so that you can use the edge..
I've actually set my sander table to about -3 degrees and put the scraper on the
table "upside down", in the theory that the burr is created better if the grind
is toward the top of the bevel as opposed to from the top.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:22:53 -0500, samson wrote:

It can. Wants a careful hand, that's for sure. Much better to cut cross
the grain than up against as some do. They call that "shear scraping,"
though it's really cutting without benefit of bevel. Strange thing, with
the proper tool angle you can do the shear and have your bevel too.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=Inside.flv

Thanks, I will try that. I cut a little 1/8 notch in
my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,
and try again.

I made the other notches using my chisel.

S.

AH... been there, done that...
Maybe one of those 1/8" square shaft mini scrapers??
Though I use them as you tried to, it really not what they, or any scraper is
for... they're for smoothing an existing surface....

Not enough handle lift and nothing happens, a bit higher and the scrapper digs
in and raises hell with the grain..

I'd suggest that you invest in a couple of thin parting/cutoff tools, maybe 1/8"
to start with... they're great and a lot safer than what you tried..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49233&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49233&ap=1

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx420.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"samson" wrote in message
Thanks, I will try that. I cut a little 1/8 notch in
my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,
and try again.

I made the other notches using my chisel.

Notch in the spindle? Does that mean you were cutting a piece between
centers with the grain running long? If so, different animal altogether.
That's pretty much broadside scraping and prone to disaster. You want to
slide in and peel along the grain. If it's a spindle orientation you're
working with, say so and maybe you can get better advice.

Good, basic stuff here at Darrell's site.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/book1/preface.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey friends,

Thanks for all the good advice. I have a huge
hardwood pile and many trees on my land to learn,
but the interior to our house is knotty pine. I'm
making table legs to match.

The skew worked fine for the notched lines on the spindle.
I made a V cut and then rounded it off a little. It
looks good, esp. after a touch of sandpaper.

The info on the burred edge of the scraper is very
helpful! I'll work on that.

Also, speaking as a beginner, cutting a pummel scared
the crap out of me the first few times I did it. I cut
about 50 more practicing and now I'm more or less ok.

I'm just having a lot of fun learing the lathe.

S.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:09:22 -0500, samson wrote:

Hey friends,

Thanks for all the good advice. I have a huge
hardwood pile and many trees on my land to learn,
but the interior to our house is knotty pine. I'm
making table legs to match.

The skew worked fine for the notched lines on the spindle.
I made a V cut and then rounded it off a little. It
looks good, esp. after a touch of sandpaper.

The info on the burred edge of the scraper is very
helpful! I'll work on that.

Also, speaking as a beginner, cutting a pummel scared
the crap out of me the first few times I did it. I cut
about 50 more practicing and now I'm more or less ok.

I'm just having a lot of fun learing the lathe.

S.

A real good practice item for some of your hardwood is honey dippers...
Some basic spindle practice and lots of practice on grooves...

They also make great little gifts..
"Buy a lathe, never buy a gift again"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
A real good practice item for some of your hardwood is honey dippers...
Some basic spindle practice and lots of practice on grooves...

They also make great little gifts..
"Buy a lathe, never buy a gift again"

Shaker pegs. They have the 4 basic moves of cove and bead, plane and part.
Probably what the Shakers started their novices on. Kids in school did a
lot of 3-4 peg coat racks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Depends upon where - when - how long since you last sharpened.

TomNie

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

And which end of the tool you're using.....

How ya been, Tom?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fantastic. Just last weekend 4wheeling in the WVA mountains for the first
time with my nephews and some friends. Unreal! Most say I'm nuts but I say
I'm a 65yr old going down in flames Most exciting thing I've done since
running Chattooga III and Bulls Sluice in an open canoe (Deliverance river).

Before that up and down Shenandoah and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the
convertible for a week. Before that canoeing and trout fishing off the
Parkway for another week near Blowing Rock. Fun summer.

Aug 1st I go on Medicare!! God, it doesn't seem possible.

Have you finished your move? Pictures I saw sure didn't look like the
forests I've got around here.

TomNie
PS. STILL finishing the shop :-)

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

S.

And which end of the tool you're using.....

How ya been, Tom?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:08:10 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Fantastic. Just last weekend 4wheeling in the WVA mountains for the first
time with my nephews and some friends. Unreal! Most say I'm nuts but I say
I'm a 65yr old going down in flames Most exciting thing I've done since
running Chattooga III and Bulls Sluice in an open canoe (Deliverance river).

Good for you!
We have a local AARP 4x4 group here and they do desert runs every weekend...
(I think that if they ever give a senior discount here, it will start at about
80)

Before that up and down Shenandoah and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the
convertible for a week. Before that canoeing and trout fishing off the
Parkway for another week near Blowing Rock. Fun summer.

Wow... you get any woodturning in anymore??

Aug 1st I go on Medicare!! God, it doesn't seem possible.

I qualify for SS in a little over the year... birthdays are GOOD for you...
The more you have, the longer you live....

Have you finished your move? Pictures I saw sure didn't look like the
forests I've got around here.

We moved in October... house is almost finished now.. lol
You know, the only thing I miss living here is the trees... I guess I took
redwoods and oak for granted until I moved...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac
Around here 4whln means going up the side of a mountain And through
streams and mudholes.

I couldn't live without woods. This place is 5 acres of solid hardwoods and
just a few pines.

When I finish this I'm going to the shop to turn some spindles for a guy who
restores antiques.

TomNie
"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

"samson" wrote in message
Scraping really tears up wood.

Unless done correctly.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"CW" wrote in message
Nice film of chips and a hand.

You have to supply the mind. Can be tough.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:53:34 GMT, "George" wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
Nice film of chips and a hand.

You have to supply the mind. Can be tough.

OUCH!
Nice shot, George..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I believe it was Hadley who wrote in his book on Algebra that in order to
read the book one had to think and that was the hardest work some people
ever did.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"CW" wrote in message
Nice film of chips and a hand.

You have to supply the mind. Can be tough.

OUCH!
Nice shot, George..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wasnt' it Pascal who said, "most people would rather die than think. ......
and in fact they do"

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I believe it was Hadley who wrote in his book on Algebra that in order to
read the book one had to think and that was the hardest work some people
ever did.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
wasnt' it Pascal who said, "most people would rather die than think.
...... and in fact they do"

Indeed a great quote, but it but it should be attributed to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell

Regards,

Steve

Beginner's Lathe Projects fatpie Metalworking 15 December 3rd 05 08:00 AM
Beginner's tools Mark Tetrault Woodturning 4 September 27th 05 04:56 PM
Beginner's Projects Jeff Metalworking 9 June 10th 05 03:25 AM
Beginner's Question buck Woodturning 1 October 27th 04 07:29 AM
Sale on a beginner's welder at HF? Mike Patterson Metalworking 5 May 4th 04 03:37 PM