Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Beginner's Note

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:22:53 -0500, samson wrote:

It can. Wants a careful hand, that's for sure. Much better to cut cross
the grain than up against as some do. They call that "shear scraping,"
though it's really cutting without benefit of bevel. Strange thing, with
the proper tool angle you can do the shear and have your bevel too.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=Inside.flv

Thanks, I will try that. I cut a little 1/8 notch in
my spindle using a scraper on pine wood. It really tore
up the wood. I will sharpen the blade, as the other suggested,
and try again.

I made the other notches using my chisel.

S.

AH... been there, done that...
Maybe one of those 1/8" square shaft mini scrapers??
Though I use them as you tried to, it really not what they, or any scraper is
for... they're for smoothing an existing surface....

Not enough handle lift and nothing happens, a bit higher and the scrapper digs
in and raises hell with the grain..

I'd suggest that you invest in a couple of thin parting/cutoff tools, maybe 1/8"
to start with... they're great and a lot safer than what you tried..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49233&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49233&ap=1

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx420.html

mac