buck

Default Beginner's Question

I know this is probably a super easy question but......
How can I hold a hollow wooden cyclinder at the tailstock end of the lathe.
Should I turn some kind of plug first to insert into the cylinder and then
press the tailstock against the plug?
And if so, how do you create the friction needed so that the two pieces
won't spin against each other.....

-TIA

Paulco

I would be inclined to turn a piece of scrap wood (even MDF will do)
to fit inside the cylinder - turn the wood with a lip to go against
the end of the cyclinder so it doesn't move inside the cylinder as you
apply tail stock pressure.
Cheers
Paul

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:27:53 -0600, "buck"
wrote:

I know this is probably a super easy question but......
How can I hold a hollow wooden cyclinder at the tailstock end of the lathe.
Should I turn some kind of plug first to insert into the cylinder and then
press the tailstock against the plug?
And if so, how do you create the friction needed so that the two pieces
won't spin against each other.....

-TIA

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia